Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #1
Rannith

Default Door card percentage

In the last three weeks I have purchased the Munchkin game box, The Munchkin Deluxe Edition, Munchkin 2, Munchkin 3, Munchkin 4, Munchkin 5, Munchkin 6, Munchkin 6.5, Munchkin 7, Munchkin 8, Munchkin 9, Munchkin Cthulhu, Munchkin Board of Health, Munchkin Shakespeare, Munchkin Shakespeare Limited Engagement, Munchkin Head Kickers, Munchkin Dragons and Munchkin Dragon’s Trike. As such I have something of an embarrassment of riches in terms of cards especially as I normally only play with a total of three or four people. Is there a formula that I can get for the composition of a door deck without having to use all twenty five thousand cards I seem to have?

X monsters, y curses, z classes etc? I’m not asking for actual numbers just percentages of what makes up a good balanced, or appropriately unbalanced Door deck.

Thanks

Last edited by Rannith; 09-22-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Extra info
Rannith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Door card percentage

If you dig through the House Rules thread, I’m pretty sure people have discussed how to “tune” larger decks. There aren’t any published guidelines for it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Rannith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If you dig through the House Rules thread, I’m pretty sure people have discussed how to “tune” larger decks. There aren’t any published guidelines for it.
Thanks Mr H. I’ll try to trawl through it.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
Fufu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannith View Post
Is there a formula that I can get for the composition of a door deck without having to use all twenty five thousand cards I seem to have?

X monsters, y curses, z classes etc? I’m not asking for actual numbers just percentages of what makes up a good balanced, or appropriately unbalanced Door deck.
There is an official standardize formula per se that is not house rules, yet Munchkin Rick and Morty so far is the best balanced Munchkin game to date without over-powering the character too much that players cannot match or stop the strongest Combat Strength player from winning a Combat. The balance comes from when the sets do not have too many specific conditionals combinations.

Reducing the number of expansions or boosters in a single game helps, due to there are a lot of cards from each set that can be too conditional, and those combinations may never happen. Look into the expansions and booster packs, which you have, those can add an extra element the game without having to enforce house rules. The few cards in a single booster pack can actually alter game play to a more or less balanced game without having the magnitude of cards in a single game.

My perspective, of course, comes from personal experience. Hope this advice can help in your quest towards Munchkin enlightenment. :)

Last edited by Fufu; 09-24-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:15 AM   #5
Rannith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufu View Post
There is an official standardize formula per se that is not house rules, yet Munchkin Rick and Morty so far is the best balanced Munchkin game to date without over-powering the character too much that players cannot match or stop the strongest Combat Strength player from winning a Combat. The balance comes from when the sets do not have too many specific conditionals combinations.

Reducing the number of expansions or boosters in a single game helps, due to there are a lot of cards from each set that can be too conditional, and those combinations may never happen. Look into the expansions and booster packs, which you have, those can add an extra element the game without having to enforce house rules. The few cards in a single booster pack can actually alter game play to a more or less balanced game without having the magnitude of cards in a single game.

My perspective, of course, comes from personal experience. Hope this advice can help in your quest towards Munchkin enlightenment. :)
Thank you for the input. Unfortunately since I have no clue who Rick and/or Morty are I have not purchased that expansion. I have worked out the percentages of card types in my total supply of Door cards and applied those percentages to a reduced deck (300 cards) and will see how that plays. Yes that did require separating and counting over a thousand cards, my eyes are still tired.

Thanks for your help.

Rannith
Old 11-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
Squaresoft

It goes something like:
DOORS:
40% monsters (sets like Pathfinder WITH expansions rise it to 47%)
5% monster enhancers
22% classes/races/factions
20% curses (Full Pathfinder has 15%)

TREASURES:
50% equipment
15% one-shots
13-15% GUAL
12-13% Potions/Enhancers/Spells/Annoyances
3-4% Wishing Rings

Missing % filled with other cards (Cheats, Hireling)
Squaresoft is offline   Reply With Quote