Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
Stripe

Default Bank Accounts and Storage Lockers in Dungeon Fantasy

Rules as written and canonically speaking, in Dungeon Fantasy, when a player character's treasure horde becomes too large to fit in his or her backpack, does town offer a bank account or storage locker?

I ask because while $150 is the cost of living is for settled Status 0 characters ($150 * 4 weeks = $600), settled characters are allowed to use just 20% of starting wealth for equipment, while only "wanderers" may use 100% as DF PCs do (Adventurers, p. 23). See "Starting Wealth," p. B26, and "Cost of Living," p. B265.

I used my PDF reader to search for "bank," "house," and "home" in Adventurers and Dungeons, but found no answer.

Note that I'm not asking if the rules should or should not include such a thing. I'm only asking if there is ink-on-page in that regard. Pyramids included.

Quotes and page references appreciated.

Thanks!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Bank Accounts and Storage Lockers in Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I ask because while $150 is the cost of living is for settled Status 0 characters ($150 * 4 weeks = $600), settled characters are allowed to use just 20% of starting wealth for equipment, while only "wanderers" may use 100% as DF PCs do (Adventurers, p. 23). See "Starting Wealth," p. B26, and "Cost of Living," p. B265.
The $150/week price isn't for Status 0 accommodations, which would be pretty decent, but more for crappy Status -2 accommodations. I think. It's entirely possible the DF authors were just like "Eh, normal CoL, DF doesn't care they aren't settled."

As for the actual question, while such a thing could make some sense, I don't think it's ever shown up in any DF canon. Do note you need to be quite wealthy before gold coins start significantly weighing you down (particularly considering things like the Bottomless Purse and other Hideaway-enchanted items) - gold is worth $20,000/lb. If that becomes a serious issue, replacing gold with uncut 1 carat diamonds - at a rate of $200 per diamond - of which you can carry 2488 per pound, or $497,600/lb (and if that's not enough, get larger diamonds - gems are worth more per unit weight the larger the individual gem is). Of course, in a setting where you can't haul a 1 ton slab of copper into town and exchange it for a quarter-pound bag of diamonds, a bank (and letters of credit, which you can find in Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 1: Glittering Prizes) would be an excellent idea.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

I'm pretty sure the default assumption is something along the lines of "Town is where they keep all their stuff" and it's not worried about.

After all, as long as the PC don't start nothing, nothing bad happens to them in Town.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The $150/week price isn't for Status 0 accommodations, which would be pretty decent, but more for crappy Status -2 accommodations. I think. It's entirely possible the DF authors were just like "Eh, normal CoL, DF doesn't care they aren't settled."
In the page I referenced, the table shows that CoL for Status 0 is $600 per month. Dungeons, p. 4, states that CoL for Dungeon Fantasy characters is $150 per week. That's why I said "($150 * 4 weeks = $600)."

Dungeon Fantasy 10: Taverns might discusses it in detail, but I've little desire to read that supplement fully. Right now, town is basically just a Boolean condition.

Quote:
As for the actual question, while such a thing could make some sense, I don't think it's ever shown up in any DF canon.
Thanks.

I'm starting to believe that. I even browsed Taverns, and found only a little precedence for a home ruling on page 5, if I even decide banks and storage lockers are necessary in our game.

Quote:
Do note you need to be quite wealthy before gold coins start significantly weighing you down (particularly considering things like the Bottomless Purse and other Hideaway-enchanted items) - gold is worth $20,000/lb.
We use the standard weights and denominations from Dungeons, page 14. The treasure horde at the end of the last dungeon included more than 80 pounds of (mostly copper) coins.

However, while losing those coins on the return trip was an issue, losing coins in general is as well. For example, the players had to return for all their quick-release backpacks left on the floor before they were destroyed by a time-limiting trap mechanism, and one of the dangers was falling into a moat of irradient sludge (lava, basically). Losing cash and possessions is a very real possibility while dungeon delving!

A bank for money is only half the issue. There is also the issue of storage for loot, even containers. For example, there was also a gilded (+20 CF) large stone box from Treasures, p. 20, that weighed 220 lbs and was worth $20,000. Of course, that was meant to be sold, but its an example of large, heavy treasure that the PC's won't always want to pawn.

Again, I'm not seeking to justify my question, nor am I saying I want such rules; I'm only explaining why I'm asking. There are a lot of Dungeon Fantasy books and Pyramid articles out there, so there may be rules of which I'm just not aware.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Well the various "Own only what you can carry" vows only are worth points if the alternative is an option. I let characters store stuff in town, and town is generally safe.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
RyanW

Storage of items that aren't cursed, hunted, illegal, requiring maintenance, or exceptionally large should be a pretty trivial favor for anyone with Claim to Hospitality, Guild Rank, or an established relationship with a vendor. Otherwise, I would play it as a service provided for a small fee (or a large fee, for items with complications).
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
In the page I referenced, the table shows that CoL for Status 0 is $600 per month. Dungeons, p. 4, states that CoL for Dungeon Fantasy characters is $150 per week. That's why I said "($150 * 4 weeks = $600)."
DF CoL assumes temporary accommodations, like inns, taverns, etc, where you actually use 20% CoL per day (on the same page of Basic Set as the CoL table). Assuming 7-day weeks, that's $840 per week, not $150. $150/week is more appropriate for Status -2 - with CoL $100, that's $140/week.

Quote:
Losing cash and possessions is a very real possibility while dungeon delving!
Unless the character is saving up to buy something substantial, he has no reason to be carrying more coin than he can fit in his pockets (or pouches), and one wonders what purpose his possessions are serving if he isn't using them for delving.

Of course, a particularly well-equipped delver may well have gear for many different occasions, making carrying only some of it make a good deal of sense - you don't need fireproof armor when delving an ice-themed dungeon. Additionally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well the various "Own only what you can carry" vows only are worth points if the alternative is an option.
This certainly makes a good case for having in-town storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Storage of items that aren't cursed, hunted, illegal, requiring maintenance, or exceptionally large should be a pretty trivial favor for anyone with Claim to Hospitality, Guild Rank, or an established relationship with a vendor. Otherwise, I would play it as a service provided for a small fee (or a large fee, for items with complications).
I'd probably say that so long as the characters keep paying CoL even for weeks when they aren't in town, this covers any relevant storage fees. They don't even need to do that if their possessions default to the facility's owners should they meet an untimely death whilst delving (meaning the party can't show up and pick up the gear). With how dangerous the lives of delvers are, I'd imagine bankers can make a good deal of profit off such storage (and even when the party does have the rights to claim the possessions, that won't help them if they all get eaten by a dragon).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Stripe

Quote:
DF CoL assumes temporary accommodations, like inns, taverns, etc, where you actually use 20% CoL per day (on the same page of Basic Set as the CoL table). Assuming 7-day weeks, that's $840 per week, not $150. $150/week is more appropriate for Status -2 - with CoL $100, that's $140/week.
True.

Okay, I'm not missing any rules then.

Thanks, all!

Tags
bank, bank account, dungeon fantasy, storage, storage locker