Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #41
Godogma

Default Re: First GURPS Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The fact that they keep fighting until the bitter end suggests that pure damage spells are not the way to deal with them.
At that point, my interest had honestly waned generally so I just wanted to obliterate them and move on with the story instead of trying to come up with a better way of dealing with them.

Attention span to GURPS combats with screens full of dice rolls is likely the culprit there more than a lack of ability to think things through.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 AM   #42
Kalzazz

To be fair, Godogma's mage blinding the dragon so it later failed to crit and annihilate 3/4s of the party had to be the 2nd key factor in the parties victory if it wasnt the most important factor
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 AM   #43
Godogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
To be fair, Godogma's mage blinding the dragon so it later failed to crit and annihilate 3/4s of the party had to be the 2nd key factor in the parties victory if it wasnt the most important factor
Like I said, utility/status effect spells I can do; I understand how to make this mage perform thus.

I just want to be able to deal with combat at least as effectively as other characters - not necessarily be a combat monster, but at least to rank as a short sword or broadsword in combat instead of a swiss army type knife.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #44
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
What is everyone's favorable way of making mages effective in combat?
Quote:
Kindly read the question if you're going to proffer an answer please. (benz72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
For dealing with the original situation my best set of options would be

1) avoid it (illusion or movement spells)

2) trick them (mind control the biggest one, scare them with an illusion)

3) negotiate with them (persuasion, other mind control)

4) fight them (any combat spells)

The thing about GURPS is that there are so many more productive things to do with enemies then just smack them into oblivion. You can confuse them, subvert them, set things up so they take on another enemy for you.... the game world is your oyster.
I'm missing where this fails to address the question?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #45
Godogma

I asked how to stat Chain Lightning or Magic missile, and you replied with something utterly aside the topic - perhaps you didn't catch that? You told me both were already in the book.

Neither are. Nor are reasonable fascimiles that duplicate or near duplicate the functions of either.

The statement prior to yours that I replied to Kindly read the question before proffering an answer was another plea for help statting them.

Of course you'd have to have referred back to the very first post to know that so maybe you missed it.

EDIT: Or you weren't responding to the post immediately previous to yours in the first place.

Last edited by Godogma; 01-09-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #46
benz72

Quote:
I asked how to stat Chain Lightning or Magic missile, and you replied with something utterly aside the topic - perhaps you didn't catch that? You told me both were already in the book.

Neither are. Nor are reasonable fascimiles that duplicate or near duplicate the functions of either.

The statement prior to yours that I replied to Kindly read the question before proffering an answer was another plea for help statting them.

Of course you'd have to have referred back to the very first post to know that so maybe you missed it.
Force Dome, Flight and Reverse Missiles, the spells listed in the post immediately prior to yours, are already statted out. I don't know what the specifice effects you want to stat out are, but I would start py talking a look at powers... though that's probably not the answer you are looking for.

If you want balance, high damage and easy low cost casting you are likely to be disappointed. Just use whetever the GM feels fits his gameworld. For most places, high damage cheap spells + unbalanced.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 AM   #47
Godogma

I refer you to the earlier portions of this thread - I wasn't asking about a single one of those spells and if you'd paid attention you'd have noticed it. I also never mentioned a cost and fairly thoroughly described the character earlier in the thread as well.

I find the spell selection lacking, not the utility spells lacking. I don't want to bog down the game and fill up an online screen with lots of dice rolls so I want to be effective in combat not a utility knife of a character in combat. I already figured out how to bunker down and use different effects to accomplish combat.

I wanted to be an effective combatant as a spellcaster not a utility trope.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #48
Anders

Is Flame Jet any good?
"Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power, for identity. You were made to be ruled." - my cats
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #49
benz72

Quote:
I refer you to the earlier portions of this thread - I wasn't asking about a single one of those spells and if you'd paid attention you'd have noticed it. I also never mentioned a cost and fairly thoroughly described the character earlier in the thread as well.

I find the spell selection lacking, not the utility spells lacking. I don't want to bog down the game and fill up an online screen with lots of dice rolls so I want to be effective in combat not a utility knife of a character in combat. I already figured out how to bunker down and use different effects to accomplish combat.

I wanted to be an effective combatant as a spellcaster not a utility trope.
Good Luck,

Out
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 AM   #50
zorg
Experimental Subject

Get a sword, shield and armor; and cast a number of Buff spells on yourself.

Fly above the battlefield, drop pebbles, and enlarge them to epic proportions.

Accept that your character cannot instakill a dragon with hundreds of hit points, any more than any other character could.

If the basic magic system in the books doesn't do what you want it to do, you might want to consider alternatives - even though your character is already finished.

Simply adding über-damage spells seems iffy; unless the warrior characters get access to über-weaponry to compensate your sudden advantage. I mean, this is like saying My knight can't decapitate the dragon with one blow, let's stat up a sword which deals tera-damage!".

Tags
combat, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, first mage, magic! mages