Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Jo Jitsu

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has this style written up (Jo Jitsu), and also I need the style of Kali?

The style of Jo Jitsu is the style seen is the movie Pacific Rim during the training exercises, sort of Katana with a Bo Staff and Staff, but it appears more than that.

Thank you so much!
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Miles

Default Re: Jo Jitsu

They're both in Martial Arts.

Jojutsu is written up on page 192, in the box about Staff Fighting. Kali is treated as a variant on Escrima, which is treated in loving detail on pages 155-156.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has this style written up (Jo Jitsu), and also I need the style of Kali?

The style of Jo Jitsu is the style seen is the movie Pacific Rim during the training exercises, sort of Katana with a Bo Staff and Staff, but it appears more than that.

Jojutsu (p.192) and Kali (Escrima p.155) are both in Martial Arts.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Lameth

well... I apologize. thank you both.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
well... I apologize. thank you both.
Not to worry about. It's happened to many others. If there's a lesson to be learned it's that Gurps books are to be read and not just skimmed.

Jojutsu is in the index but not the table of contents. Kali isn't even in the index. It's status as a variant of Escrima for MA's purposes is found only in the first paragraph of Escrima's write up.

You can get a lot from ToCs, indices and skimming the headers and stat blocks nut some other things will elude you without a detailed reading. It's not even that stuff is being hidden from you. It's just that the book as a whole is educational. It's probably from reading the 3e version of Martial arts that I knew to look at Escrima for Kali and Arnis.