Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Here
Default January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:10 AM   #2
MongolHorde
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Near Detroit, MI
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

/Me laughs in Michigan at your puny "snow!"

Yes, I know, even a dusting like that is unusual in TX, and I shouldn't laugh considering we've not had any serious snowfall yet to speak of, but, hey, gotta find something to laugh about right now, right?
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
PJ3
 
PJ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

When the south gets an inch of snow, they shut the state doen

To which the Midwest says "That's nice"

New England responds with "Hold my beer!"

To which Colorado chimes in with Hold my joint!"

And finally Alaska adds "You're all adorable!"
__________________
John Moore

"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"
PJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

Snow day here in Montréal, too.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
Ŝorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution
 
Ŝorkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

That's cute.
__________________
Ŝorkell Sigvaldason

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Ŝorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
thorr-kan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongolHorde View Post
/Me laughs in Michigan at your puny "snow!"

Yes, I know, even a dusting like that is unusual in TX, and I shouldn't laugh considering we've not had any serious snowfall yet to speak of, but, hey, gotta find something to laugh about right now, right?
You Trolls are so cute. (Da Yooper leans back and smirks.)

(State Smack Talk Jargon Definition: MI has two peninsulas: the Upper and the Lower, joined by the Mackinac Bridge. The Lower Peninsula is Below the Bridge. What lives below bridges? Trolls. Hence, Lower Peninsula residents are Trolls. QED. Note that said jargon precedes the Internet definition of troll by several decades.)
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #7
MongolHorde
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Near Detroit, MI
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
You Trolls are so cute. (Da Yooper leans back and smirks.)

(State Smack Talk Jargon Definition: MI has two peninsulas: the Upper and the Lower, joined by the Mackinac Bridge. The Lower Peninsula is Below the Bridge. What lives below bridges? Trolls. Hence, Lower Peninsula residents are Trolls. QED. Note that said jargon precedes the Internet definition of troll by several decades.)
You Yoopers, gee, ain't you gotta case a beer to finish to try to keep warm up there by the North Pole?

;-)

(So, where about in Mi are you? Macomb County here)
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
Aleph
Administrator
 
Aleph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Central Network
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

Hey, it's a big deal for us down here! :)

I had some friends whose kids got to build their first snowmen ever, because we only get enough to even make small ones every handful of years. And it does shut us down when we get moderate storms (mostly when there's ice) because Austin has a lot of elevated roadways, and only a small fleet of sand trucks to treat the roads (like one truck per 50,000 people or so). We're just not built for it here.

But have your fun poking at us, we'll just return the favor in August. :)
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
thorr-kan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Re: January 17, 2021: Snow Day In Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongolHorde View Post
You Yoopers, gee, ain't you gotta case a beer to finish to try to keep warm up there by the North Pole?

;-)

(So, where about in Mi are you? Macomb County here)
I'm in MN now. But originally I'm from Delta County, at the very northern tip of Lake Michigan. Ironically, that area was known as "The Banana Belt" locally. The local geography made a microclimate that was statistically warmer and had lower snowfall than pretty much the rest of the UP.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.