Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
EvL_Gamer

Default Interfering with combat question

Greetings,

I am a bit confused about the rules surrounding interfering with another players combat.

Lets say a player draws a door card and its a level 10 monster, and the player has a current strength of 12, he declares that he does not need help and can defeat the monster on his own. I want him to lose that combat, so a second later I play a card that raises the monster's strength by 5, making it 15 vs 12.

If the player then produces a one-shot item from his hand that raises his own strength by 5, making the tally now Player(17) vs Monster(15). Can I interfere with the combat a second time to try and cause the player to lose? Or, must anyone and everyone that wishes to interfere in a combat do so that first time and that time only?

To put it another way, if the player manages to survive the combat once the monster has been strengthened by the other players in the game, is he or she in the clear? Or is it that each and every time a player declares victory over a monster does he or she have to spend a tense 2.6 seconds waiting to see if it truly is a victory?

Thanks!
EvL_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Signboy

Default Re: Interfering with combat question

My understanding, based on the rules and other responses I've seen in the forum, is that players may put down as many monster enhancers or potions as they have in their hand, unless a player plays a card that specifically protects that player during combat from any such cards. That means that yes, you could play another monster enhancer, potion, or Wandering Monster after your friend buffs himself up.
Signboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Players are always allowed an opportunity to stop a player from winning a combat. You don't have to play all your cards at once.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
krspond

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvL_Gamer View Post
Greetings,

Or is it that each and every time a player declares victory over a monster does he or she have to spend a tense 2.6 seconds waiting to see if it truly is a victory?

Thanks!
To be friendly gamers and avoid arguments, my group doesn't stick too staunchly to the 2.6 second rule. Most players don't have all of their cards memorized like us true Munchkins, so it's nice to give them a little time to read. I'm not sure how serious of a rule that is officially, however.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Nerftw

2.6 seconds is clearly a joke.

"Reasonable time" is the rule. Whatever is reasonable for the people you're playing with, which can change due to familiarity, number of cards in play, size of the table, etc. Clearly 3 seconds is way too short if someone on the opposite side of a four foot table needs to know what card you just put down.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
EvL_Gamer

Good advice, thanks to all who responded!
EvL_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.6 second rule, combat