Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Ackiro

Default Fight over who gets what

Okay, here goes.... I have a pretty complicated turn of events that occured just a little bit ago while playing munchkin. In the end, I decided in my favor -- of course -- since I own the game. :)

Player #1 is fighting monster. The other players pump the monster up, so it is beating player #1. Now, the monster has 8 treasures because of all the monster enhancers. Player #2 (me) volunteers to help (with an evil plot in mind to charm the monster and take all the treasures for myself, since I'm a wizard). We agree that I will take 4 of the 8 treasures and that he gets to choose which ones he gets. BUT, just before I charm the monster, Player #3 lays down Mate which makes TWO monsters. Well... I charm the 1st monster and get its treasures, but now what? How do we decide who gets how much treasures? Of course, I took 4 treasures from the new monster (added to the 8 I'd already acquired) and left my sobbing friend with his 4.

I think I may have done the right thing, but I still have a question. If I hadn't charmed the 1st monster, and somehow we beat both of the monsters, how would we decide who gets how many treasure? Would I have been the one stuck with 4 treasures while he got 12? Or do we just solve the issue by dueling to the death?
Ackiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Fight over who gets what

Like I've said every time this comes up: The original agreement to help stands. The Wizard does not get anything more than he agreed to just because he charmed the Monster.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Ackiro

Alright, thats what I thought. And was I right to take all 8 treasures from the monster I charmed, plus the 4 treasures from actually fighting the 2nd monster? Or do both players share the treasures of the charmed monster?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
RevBob

When you charmed the first monster, you essentially transformed it into a stack of 8 treasures. To get at that stack, the second monster must be defeated. (If it's not, and you Run Away, neither of you gets anything.) Once the second monster is defeated, leaving a big stack of 16 treasures total, you get the four you agreed to as your payment.

In short, charming it didn't help you at all, except to make the Mate easier to beat.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Ackiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
When you charmed the first monster, you essentially transformed it into a stack of 8 treasures. To get at that stack, the second monster must be defeated. (If it's not, and you Run Away, neither of you gets anything.) Once the second monster is defeated, leaving a big stack of 16 treasures total, you get the four you agreed to as your payment.

In short, charming it didn't help you at all, except to make the Mate easier to beat.
Alright, that stinks. I just thought since it says, "Discard the Monster and take its Treasure, but don't gain levels. If there are other monsters in the combat, fight them normally." the treasure would go to the person doing the charm, then fight the remaining monster.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Well, considering the FAQ has 3 places that say you can't do that, I'm guessing you didn't read that first. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
Ackiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Well, considering the FAQ has 3 places that say you can't do that, I'm guessing you didn't read that first. . .
Sorry about that, but the only place this is stated is under the combat complexities section:

Q. When you are faced with two or more monsters, can you kill one and flee the other?
A. No. If you have cards that let you abolish one entirely (like Pollymorph) then you may do that, and fight the other one(s). (You will have to win that fight before you can claim any treasure at all . . . you can't charm one monster, grab its treasure, and then try to fight its mate.) But you can't fight one and flee the other. They fight you together.

Q. Faced with multiple monsters, can a Wizard discard his whole hand to Charm one, take its treasure, discard that new hand to Charm the next one, and so on?
A. No. Faced with multiple hostile monsters, one does not get any of their treasures until all are defeated. If you Pollymorph one, Charm one, and then must Run Away from the last one, you get no treasure at all.

Maybe it should also be under the Wily Wizard section? Yeah, I know, i should've read the whole thing to begin with, but still. It'd be helpful.

EDIT: and, i know I can't have those treasures until after the battle is over, but I'm still wondering if those treasures are (1) mine, because the card says to take the treasures (referring to you) or (2) dispersed to both players, leaving me with the amount I agreed upon at the start of the battle.

I'm guessing you'll say option #2, in which case I will cry. I thought I was teh uber munchkin.

Last edited by Ackiro; 06-08-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #8
DenSpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackiro
EDIT: and, i know I can't have those treasures until after the battle is over, but I'm still wondering if those treasures are (1) mine, because the card says to take the treasures (referring to you) or (2) dispersed to both players, leaving me with the amount I agreed upon at the start of the battle.

I'm guessing you'll say option #2, in which case I will cry. I thought I was teh uber munchkin.
Well, formally owner of battle gets every treasure left from battle, and it's up to him much treasure will he give you. He can even keep everything for himself -- that's Munchkin (but no one will help him later)!
So it's just a question of good will, munchkinness and forseeing of battle owner.
DenSpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Things like mate etc, are the reason you don't say 4 of 8, in your agreement, you say 1/2 the treasures 8) hence if combat results in more treasure you get more as well. if you say you get 4, then you only get 4 even if the treasure is doubled 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Bazz

personally i say "all but..." in case the person i'm helping out has the bright idea of making the monster harder and getting extra treasures. It's also perfectly legitimate to renegotiate midcombat - once the mate appeared and you were no longer winning, you could turn round and say "I'm a wizard, I *can* make the mate disapear, but i want all it's treasure to do so." this is infinately more satisfying if you played the mate yourself, and even better if you were forced into helping by those damn kneepads...
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote