Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
mini-munchkin

Default Epic Human

Epic Humans are allowed to make pets out of monsters lvl 5 and below. Now here's a question: What if an epic human has a pet and then loses lvls so that he is no longer epic. must he discard the pet or can he still keep it and use it?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
nicknails

Default Re: Epic Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-munchkin
Epic Humans are allowed to make pets out of monsters lvl 5 and below. Now here's a question: What if an epic human has a pet and then loses lvls so that he is no longer epic. must he discard the pet or can he still keep it and use it?
Not exactly the same, but similar........if you are a dwarf and are using a dwarf-only item, can you still use it if you lose your race? I would guess that after you are no longer epic, you lose your pet.
nicknails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Rilyntar

I would say you keep the pet, because the epic power is that you can create a pet. The rest only describes the rules for the pet. It does not say that you have to be epic to keep it.
If you still can use it? I'm not sure. But what nicknails says makes sense, so probably not use it.
Rilyntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
mini-munchkin

yeah, those are the two idea i had come up with. so maybe when MunchinMan has a minute he can give us an official ruling......pretty please :)
Old 08-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
BIGsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilyntar
I would say you keep the pet, because the epic power is that you can create a pet.
Ah, but being a Dwarf allowed me to equip my Dwarf-only item in the same way you can create a pet. This doesn't mean I get to keep the armour when I stop being a Dwarf and in turn, using this cunning logic, I think you should lose the pet when you lose epic status.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
Pyorokun

I would say, it falls under the situation that you are a Epic Human, who changes his/her race. As such all racial bonuses (the pets being a bonus) are lost. Otherwise you could become an Epic Human and get a +5 free bonus, then go to a Dwarf or a Gnome and keep the +5.
Pyorokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
Rilyntar

I thought over it again and came up with the following general ruling:

Case 1 ) Rules says action x is not allowed -> action x is not allowed
Case 2 ) Rules says action y is allowed -> action y is allowed
Case 3 ) Rules does not say something about action z -> action z is not allowed
Cards overrule case 1 and 2.

Now back to our pet.
The rules say you can use it later as a bonus.

So I say now, it doesn't matter if you are epic, and it also doesn't matter if you are human anymore. You are allowed to use the pet, because the rules allow it.

Who agrees? Did I miss something?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
BIGsheep

I see what you're saying and it's a good point.

However, I would counterargue, and forgive my vagueness but it's my brother's deck and i forget the specifics, that in Star/Space Munchkin there is a card/race/class that allows you to have more than one sidekick. When you lose that card/race/class you have to remove any extra sidekicks. Now in theory I am proposing that the extra sidekick is the equivalent to your pet and discarding the card/race/class is the same to losing your epic status.

Obviously this is all just conjecture and we need to reach for the MIB-phone and hope someone in authority can give us a definitive answer.

Of course if I have not even got the vaguest of these aspects right I apologise and you can expect a thread on how my brother possibly cheated sometime in the future.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
MIB2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGsheep
Obviously this is all just conjecture and we need to reach for the MIB-phone and hope someone in authority can give us a definitive answer.
The question has already been refered upstairs.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Rilyntar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826
The question has already been refered upstairs.
Thanks.

@BIGsheep: The sidekick is easy to answer. It is case 2. The rules allow you to have only one sidekick in play. So if you lose the card that allows more, you have to get rid of the other sidekick.