Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #31
Bruno

Default Re: Binding - Decreased ST over time.

It sounds like your problem is more with Indestructible, which might be underpriced. I'm not 100% convinced on that point, but considering the very narrow point range baseline Binding has to work in before it starts becoming a better idea to take something else instead, if that's the scenario that's really alarming that makes an obvious place to tinker.

Another is tweaking the ratio of DR to HP that the Binding has - although by RAW it has 1/3 DR/level which isn't very much. It also looses one ST per HP of damage taken - it doesn't seem to take Injury - does it ignore wounding modifiers? Cutting isn't multiplied by 1.5? Suddenly I'm curious if it's Homogeneous.

---

As noted by Kromm elsewhere on the forum, Binding is a two-part effect: the root and the grapple. I have thought for a while that Binding needs a pricing scheme more like "N points plus 2 per ST" where N is definitely not more than 10 points but perhaps as low as 4 or 5, to cover the "rooted" part. An Affliction: Sessile would be 15 points and lasts minutes, but you can't try to break free every second and you can't chip your way out of it - both of which are properties of the baseline Bind and make the duration nearly irrelevant.

That would make Bindings in general a little more expensive, and would bump the price of an Unbreakable binding more.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #32
BaHalus

Maximum duration couldn't be used to refer to the effect duration? Maybe with some adjustment. Seems to me to be the closer limitation to the pretended effect. Then use the rule of variable effect.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #33
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
Maximum duration couldn't be used to refer to the effect duration? Maybe with some adjustment. Seems to me to be the closer limitation to the pretended effect. Then use the rule of variable effect.
I acutely dislike Maximum Duration. I feel it's better as a specificly priced limitation for a small handful of advantages, rather than as a general limitation.

So I don't touch it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #34
stroess

Hi,

After reading the other comments, I can kinda see Binding as more of a Permenant thing. I like what B9anders came up with, and I was wondering if anyone had any concerns with the "Dissipates Over Time" Limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
That's a good point. Keeping with the Dissipation idea then, I'd also use minutes for dissipating, and apply Extended Duration as a -20% limitation on the limitation, instead of an enhancement on Binding itself. So fledging it out, it goes like this as a levelled limitation:
Dissipates Over Time, -10%/lvl.
Your Binding dissipates over time. Divide the ST of your Binding by the number of dissipation time intervals elapsed. The dissipation interval is determined by the level of this limitation:
-10% --- 15 hours
-20% --- 5 hours
-30% --- 1.5 hours
-30% --- 30 minutes
-40% --- 3 minutes
-50% --- 1 minute
-60% --- 20 seconds
-70% --- 2 seconds
-80% --- 1 second
It seems to combine everything that was talked about fairly well. However, I'm still a bit new with GURPS, and I just wanted to check to see if any more experienced players/GMs see any issues with it.

Thanks!

Stroess
stroess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binding, cancellation, kromm answer