Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-06-2023, 06:10 AM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: Flavorfull Magic Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
On that note, I would recommend Magic Items 1, 2, and 3 for flavorfull magic items easily ported to DF.
Note: 3 is the one which gets actively flavourful, sometimes to the point of high weirdness.

Anyway, from deep in my own past, I give you...

The Staff of Earthquakes: Once per hour, casts a maximum power Earthquake spell, centered on the user (who has to strike the ground with it while mentally commanding it to work). Fortunately, the staff also makes the holder immune to the effects of all earthquakes, magical or natural; even falling rubble is deflected an inch from their skin.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM   #12
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Note: 3 is the one which gets actively flavourful, sometimes to the point of high weirdness.

Anyway, from deep in my own past, I give you...

The Staff of Earthquakes: Once per hour, casts a maximum power Earthquake spell, centered on the user (who has to strike the ground with it while mentally commanding it to work). Fortunately, the staff also makes the holder immune to the effects of all earthquakes, magical or natural; even falling rubble is deflected an inch from their skin.
What's the AoE on the staff's Earthquake?

P.S. I'm not sure but I assume this sentence in Earthquake "Divide the distance to the edge of the affected area by 20 before figuring your skill penalty" is intended to actually mean "Divide the AoE radius by 20 before figuring the energy cost," because a 1-yard severe earthquake would be truly absurd and yet an earthquake large enough to cover even a single building would be prohibitively expensive at base cost 6.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 02-06-2023 at 09:21 AM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post

P.S. I'm not sure but I assume this sentence in Earthquake "Divide the distance to the edge of the affected area by 20 before figuring your skill penalty" is intended to actually mean "Divide the AoE radius by 20 before figuring the energy cost," because a 1-yard severe earthquake would be truly absurd and yet an earthquake large enough to cover even a single building would be prohibitively expensive at base cost 6.
Yeah, but you also want to be certain that the earthquake does not happen on your head. If they wanted the base cost to be 1/10 or something they could have made it that way.

Earthquake is probably best cast using ceremonial magic. For instance, you could have your congregation wander around a city seven times and clash their cymbals and blow their horn...
Old 02-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #14
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Yeah, but you also want to be certain that the earthquake does not happen on your head. If they wanted the base cost to be 1/10 or something they could have made it that way.

Earthquake is probably best cast using ceremonial magic. For instance, you could have your congregation wander around a city seven times and clash their cymbals and blow their horn...
RE: "Does not happen on your head", remember that you can shape AoEs (DF Spells pg 13), such as excluding yourself from an AoE.

I don't think DFRPG has rules for ceremonial magic. If you did want to do a Jericho thing you probably wouldn't refer to DF Spells' Earthquake at all, either. You'd just expect the GM to tell you when or if the walls come tumblin' down.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #15
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Let's say, oh, 25 hex radius.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:07 PM   #16
Dalin

Nįttflaska ("Nightflask") (1 lb)

The Nįttflaska is a battered bronze flask, gourd-shaped with a flat bottom. It is decorated with worn etchings in a fae style and some runes in the Dökktomte (dark gnome) language for "night." Instead of a single mouth at the top, there are three separate openings, each with a different-sized stopper. Each stopper is attached to the flask via a short miniature chain.

The flask can be held, somewhat awkwardly, in one hand and unstoppered with a thumb (a ready maneuver). When a stopper is removed, darkness—equivalent to the Blackout spell—gushes forth, filling a two-hex radius in one second. The smallest stopper will fill a two-hex radius; the medium stopper will fill a 4-hex radius in two seconds; the largest stopper will fill a six-hex radius in three seconds. Opening a smaller stopper while a larger one is open has no effect.

The blackout effect will persist indefinitely while the flask is open and remains in place. If the flask is stoppered, the effect will persist for another minute before dissipating like smoke on the wind. If it is reopened while a prior effect remains, or if it is moved while open, the previous effect will rapidly fade (three seconds) to be replaced by a new area around the flask.

Last edited by Dalin; 02-08-2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Correct Nįttflösku to Nįttflaska.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:04 PM   #17
sjmdw45

Glirendree, the Demon Sword.

Legend has it that this ancient weapon was created by a mighty warlock as a coming-of-age present for his eldest daughter. She conquered half the known world with it and then died of old age on her nineteenth birthday. Her father then took up the weapon and cut his own throat out of grief.

The wielder of this two-handed greatsword is nigh-invulnerable to everything except Glirindree itself. (Treat as DB 6, DR +12, Magic Resistance 12 while wielding.) Unfortunately, the weapon also consumes life force, and long-lived wielders like elves will be dead of old age within two years; short-lived humans will be dead within six months, or one year at the most. The weapon may be transferred from one hand to another, but the wielder is unable to put the weapon down.

In a no-mana zone, the weapon permanently transforms back into its original form: a sadistic demon-lord who will tear the ex-wielder limb from limb to gleefully devour. (Use Noršlond Grimdar stats if available; otherwise use a 1000+ point demon.)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:54 PM   #18
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Nįttflösku ("Nightflask") (1 lb)

The Nįttflösku .
You used Google Translate or similar for this, right?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #19
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
You used Google Translate or similar for this, right?
I most certainly did! How bad was this one?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:33 AM   #20
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I most certainly did! How bad was this one?
Not bad, it's in the wrong case. It should be Nįttflaska. However I can't recreate the translation with Google Translate as it gives me a perfectly sensible translation.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote