Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Nils_Lindeberg

Default A few combat options

So a few additional options for combat. Any thoughts on the balancing? Will it change the feel of TFT too much?

The reason for this is I don't like 5 or 6 die rolls with the current lower cap on attributes it will always be down to an auto-hit. I want to make longer duels possible. Now two masters give each other -2 or -3 to adjDX, but since they already have high DX the duel will be over really quick. Or one goes defensive without any chance of winning. Going defensive is just a delay tactic.
I also want to give people an option to run away from multiple opponents even if half surrounded and tougher fighters can ignore weak enemies and push forward.

Defend action - When you defend normally, your enemies get +1 die vs DX to hit you (normally 4vsDX) and you can not attack them. Now you can attack but with a penalty. No one focuses on defense so much that they can't take advantage of an opening if it is presented. Sometimes the best defense is a counter-attack or at least the threat of one.

If your defense is 4 dice, you give them 4 dice and can attack at -6DX.
If your defense is 5 dice, you give them 4 dice and attack at -4DX.
If your defense is 6 dice, you give them 4 dice and attack at -2DX.
You only get your own attack if it is equal to or better than the auto success number. So you need adjDX 11 to take a basic Defend action in order to riposte at adjDX5.

Dodge gives you an attack at -6DX.

Parting shot. If you disengage without taking the disengage option, opponents engaging you will get a free front attack if you only take 1 step, a free side attack if you move up to half your move and a free back attack if you move more than a half move or the equivalent.

Last edited by Nils_Lindeberg; 01-01-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: A few combat options

The option I'd like to see is defend and disengage.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: A few combat options

With my suggestion above you could kind of do that. You take a defend action and then you move away. They get free attacks on you (side or back), but at 4/DX. I had a thought about letting 1 step moves with a disengage result in a free front attack and that would kind of be a defensive disengage.

I will add that to the rules text.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote