Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #1
Jackal

Default TFT Euro-Tabletop RPG?

Has anyone considered a Gloomhaven- or Descent-like add-on for TFT?

I'm thinking in particular about simplified *rules* controlling how foes choose targets. move, and select attack or cast options. Might TFT make a good coop or (better) solo game with such rules?

Yes, Euro-tabletops come with minis or standups and scene-specific maps. But that's a separate discussion.

I love me a good bandwagon!
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: TFT Euro-Tabletop RPG?

I don't own Gloomhaven (the price point is a little high for my limited gaming budget -- which, frankly I'm being very careful of right now so I can afford Melee/Wizard when they come out), but I must say that after reading the various reviews and discussions of the mechanics, I think a Gloomhaven-derived system could actually result in the first ever true "solo" RPG experience. The road and city event cards (though seemingly not as well executed in Gloomhaven as they could have been) would add an almost "programmed adventure" feel to a normal roleplaying session. Likewise, the tactics cards (apparently better executed, but still somewhat stiff and one-dimensional according to the reviews) would be of benefit in ensuring variability in tactical combat situations.

If someone could design a clever set of such cards, with solid events and employment rules that allowed the players some options (other than "do/do not") it would, in effect, result in a "solo sandbox."

Given the many times in my life when I've been in the gaming "wilderness" (i.e., no local players) and have had no choice but to play solitaire, such a device would be a real gift to my gaming options.

Regarding your second to last sentence; a) Steve loves him some miniatures, so it's quite likely this paradigm gets satisfied, and; b) a suitable set of "cardboard heroes" city, wilderness, dungeon, and cavern pieces that could be placed on the table to form any specific scene the players desire would solve this -- sort of like building with LEGOs -- anything you can think up, you can build...

Last edited by JLV; 03-21-2018 at 11:41 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
CardDiceian

With regards to miniatures. I really wanted TFT to be brought back to life when I discovered the Ceasar range of 1/72 scale fantasy figures. (I've long since lost all my old Citadel metal figures).

There are a few other companies that produce great historical figures which are cool for fantasy - Like Romans / Celts / Aztecs /Egyptians etc. But nobody seemed to do that fantasy races. Then suddenly there was Caesar with Orcs / Skeletons /Dwarves / Elves / Goblins. and you are good to go.

The trouble is, there didn't seem to be a suitable rule set to work with them - (Not a currently available one anyway)
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
GlennDoren

I think making a Gloomhaven/Kingdom Death: Monster-style "programmed campaign" would be HUGE, and would seriously help make this more than just another RPG-on-the-shelf.

TFT is awesome. But nowadays, the money-makers are the ones coming out with something innovative and "next gen". Gloomhaven, 7th Continent, KD:M... people get excited about it because it's a high-quality/deep campaign they can play solo or co-op with their friends against the programmed campaign. Plus, they have an addictive hook.

A few weeks ago, I also suggested a TFT mobile app for playing solo. Perhaps the "programmed adventures" could be handled via an app, as well, for those who don't want a fully digital experience.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
zot

I just played Gloomhaven on Saturday. After the game, my friend asked me what I thought of it and I suddenly realized that I thought it would have been way better with TFT mechanics because they're so much more open-ended. I really hadn't considered that until just then!

Which makes me think that a Gloomhaven-like game that uses TFT mechanics might be fun for other people too. The rules are so simple -- the basic rules are microgames, I think it would really work!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Has anyone considered a Gloomhaven- or Descent-like add-on for TFT?

I'm thinking in particular about simplified *rules* controlling how foes choose targets. move, and select attack or cast options. Might TFT make a good coop or (better) solo game with such rules?
Yes.

Gloomhaven combats are tactical puzzles, but constrained by the cards in your hand, which you play to perform actions. You've got to find a way to clear the room before you run out of cards. TFT lets you do what you want, when you want, as many times as you want, which I find more satisfying.

Outside of the "dungeon" though, Gloomhaven does an excellent job of connecting player actions to the expanding world. You have a reputation (a la Mage Knight) which affects you interactions with other people. So if you rob a caravan or roll a lone merchant, you'll be lucky if all the townsfolk do is charge you higher prices. On the other hand, the local underworld may be impressed. Some encounters will add or remove cards from the encounter decks (a la Robinson Crusoe), open up new sites on the map, etc.

It helps the sense of immersion when your past actions have tangible, often unforeseen, consequences.

I haven't found a way to control opponents tactics that didn't feel cumbersome. My best approach so far is to roll a D6, similar to a "reaction roll", to see how hard the opponent fights. On a 1 they run at first blood, on a 6 they fight to the death, etc. It's easy to throw in a modifier: plus 1 if the races don't get along (dwarves vs elves), minus 2 if the foes are cowards, underpaid, etc. You still have to be your own GM, controlling the other side, but it mitigates the conflict of interest. :)

I'm working on a framework for larger, solo adventures that are somewhere between a programmed adventure and a sandbox. It uses a combination of decks of cards, tables, and light record keeping. It's less cumbersome than it used to be, which is good, but I'm iterating through it more slowly than I'd like. Such is the curse of adulthood and it's accompanying responsibilities.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
JLV

I would REALLY like to see what you come up with, tomc -- something like this would be fantastic for people like me that find it hard to find another gamer nearby.

Can anyone explain (in somewhat more detail) how Gloomhaven really works outside the dungeon? (Keep in mind, all I've got to go on are the reviews, and some of them may have been a bit iffy...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
marctabyanan

Same here. I’m really curious about what you come up with for solo gaming!
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Terquem

you know, no offense to anyone's sensibilities here, but at 54, my life's activities not involving hiking with my wife are bit to much "solo" at the moment, and a solo play option for TFT is not on my list.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
you know, no offense to anyone's sensibilities here, but at 54, my life's activities not involving hiking with my wife are bit to much "solo" at the moment, and a solo play option for TFT is not on my list.
Solo play isn't for everyone but I've seen some posts from people who can't find others to play with. Programmed adventures allow for group play as well (Gloomhaven is for groups) although it always feels more like a board game than a role playing game to me, which can be fun too.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gloomhaven