Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #1
marceloyoiti

Default [Reign of Steel] Zoneminds IQ and Complexity

In Will to Live the AI template has IQ 13 (p. 23-24) and the Zonemind lens adds IQ +7 (p. 22) for a total IQ 20. According to Ultra Tech (p. 25) and Will to Live (p. 19) a volitional AI needs a computer with Complexity at least (IQ/2)+3, so Complexity 13 for IQ 20. But according to Ultra Tech at TL 10 a megacomputer has a Complexity of 11 (Ultra Tech p. 22) which would limit the AI software to IQ 16. What is wrong? The IQ or the Complexity?

I know quantum computers are not cannon (Will to Live p. 41) but in my game I decided the megacomputer housing the Zoneminds are actually TL 9 (built before the war with Complexity 9) quantum computers with a bonus of +5 to Complexity for decryption (per Ultra Tech p. 47) and deep neural networks (per house rule). That would rate them as Complexity 14 (so max IQ 22) for running the AI software but Complexity 9 for most other types of programs. What do you guys think?

As a side note, I made the Lucifer AI as a macroframe (Complexity 8+5, Ultra Tech p. 22) so that it would fit in a robotruck (4 tons instead of 40 for megacomputer), with the drawback that it's max IQ is 20 (which is still enough for a genius level AI).
marceloyoiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:04 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: [Reign of Steel] Zoneminds IQ and Complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloyoiti View Post
In Will to Live the AI template has IQ 13 (p. 23-24) and the Zonemind lens adds IQ +7 (p. 22) for a total IQ 20. According to Ultra Tech (p. 25) and Will to Live (p. 19) a volitional AI needs a computer with Complexity at least (IQ/2)+3, so Complexity 13 for IQ 20. But according to Ultra Tech at TL 10 a megacomputer has a Complexity of 11 (Ultra Tech p. 22) which would limit the AI software to IQ 16. What is wrong? The IQ or the Complexity?
See the Genius option on the next page of Ultra-Tech.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
starslayer

Also the zoneminds are spontaneous AI's rather than programmed AI's, I believe this increases IQ via the program optimizing for sentience as it 'awakens'.

Further to this the zoneminds might be huge, or networked computers- multiple megacomputers together in a network to boost complexity even further.

Your lucifer might need to be a team of trucks, but that could also make sense- if Lucifer runs itself as a distributed mobile network it could have waves of being smarter or dumber depending on losses, but is actually harder to outright elimate compared to the other zoneminds which, while very heavily defended, are static.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
weby

As RogerBW says, the genius option gives the needed +2 cpx (9 base +2 tl 10, +2 genius)

Further the genius option could help explain why there are so few of the zone mind level computers as the number of places having $5 billion to use on the computer base hardware only is highly limited.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Anthony

The short answer is that (a) Zoneminds aren't really paying attention to the rules anyway, and (b) the IQ limit on complexity is racial IQ, they can get additional IQ from other sources.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The short answer is that (a) Zoneminds aren't really paying attention to the rules anyway, and (b) the IQ limit on complexity is racial IQ, they can get additional IQ from other sources.
That complexity for average racial IQ only applies to Ghost programs. The AIs use the normal values. Though it would not be out of bounds to call the zone minds spontaneous races, but then the average IQ of zone minds would be used...
Old 11-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
That complexity for average racial IQ only applies to Ghost programs. The AIs use the normal values.
Unless they have Fixed IQ as a feature, I don't see how this is the case. Adding IQ with earned points shouldn't have anything to do with the complexity of the hardware, given the range of things that IQ can represent in GURPS .
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless they have Fixed IQ as a feature, I don't see how this is the case. Adding IQ with earned points shouldn't have anything to do with the complexity of the hardware, given the range of things that IQ can represent in GURPS .
Well, As a GM you can decide how things work in your games, I am just saying what UT says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT 220
Mind Emulation (“Ghost”) Programs
A mind emulation’s Complexity depends on the average
racial IQ
of the being that was uploaded: Complexity 4 +
(IQ/2), rounded up.
Emphasis mine.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
An individual AI might have higher or lower IQ than the default just as an organic intelligence. But that isn't really relevant to the template's value, which is the default.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Well, As a GM you can decide how things work in your games, I am just saying what UT says:
That is determining the "Racial" IQ of the AI template, unless they also have "Fixed IQ" they aren't dependent on Complexity for individual variations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
An individual AI might have higher or lower IQ than the default just as an organic intelligence. But that isn't really relevant to the template's value, which is the default.
Yes, I know. I am saying that if that template doesn't include "Fixed IQ" individuals can still buy up or sell down their IQ from that hardware-determined average, and that is independent of Complexity.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reign of steel, ultra tech, will to live