Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
aesir23

Default Talking Wolves for a Dark Fantasy Campaign

I was inspired by this thread to share High Wolves, a PC race for a fantasy campaign:

High-Wolf (20)
The legends are true. In the mountains and forests of the Northlands there are packs of wolves as intelligent as men. One local legend claims that a Shaman gave the wolves the gift of intelligence as a reward for some long forgotten service. But don't let the wolves hear you repeating this story. In their own stories, which they might share with you in their unsettling growling voices, they have been here since the creation of the world.

Attributes: ST +4 (No Fine Manipulators -40%) (24) DX +2 (No Fine Manipulators -40%) [24], HT +2 [10], Basic Move +2 (10) TL 0 (-15)
Advantages: Acute Hearing +2 (4), Acute Smell +2 (4), Discriminatory Smell (15), Enhanced Move (land) 1/2 (10), Fit (5), Night Vision 5 (5), Speak With Animal (True Wolves Only -80%) (5), Striking ST+ 3 (Bite Only -60%) (6), Wolf Talent lvl 2 (10)
Perks: Sharp Teeth (1), Fur (1), Penetrating Call (1), Temperature Tolerance (Cold) (1)
Disadvantages:Code of Honor (Wolf) (-5), Dead Broke (-25), Disturbing Voice (-10), Quadruped (-35), Social Stigma (Wild Animal) (-15), Restricted Diet (Strict Carnivore) (-5), and One of: Sense of Duty (Pack) (-5), and Reputation -3 (Packless, All the time, from High-Wolves) (-5).
Features: Born Biter lvl 1, Taboo Trait: Wealth

Wolf Talent. 5/level.
Area Knowledge (Hunting Territory), Brawling, Running, Intimidation, Survival, Tracking).
Reaction bonus from: Wolves and other pack-hunters. Or Alternative Benefit: Gives its bonus to rolls to memorize scents as described in Discriminatory Smell.

Code of Honor (Wolf) -5
Submit to your Alpha, but test his strength. Defend your pack (or your companions) with your life. Share your meat. Suffer no interlopers in your territory.

Last edited by aesir23; 06-01-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Now they have sharp teeth and pay the correct amount for born Biter. I also added Enhanced Move (Land) and Fit.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Talking Wolves for a Dark Fantasy Campaign

Some Lenses:

Lenses:
Alpha Wolf (+66):
Appearance (Handsome, Impressive +0%, Universal +25) 16, Pack Rank +3 (3), increase Wolf Talent to +4 (10), Ally (Wolf Shaman) (75% of Total, 15 or Less) (9), and Ally Group (6-10 High Wolves, 50% of Point Total, 15 OR Less.) (36).
Duty (To Pack, 12 or less, Hazardous) (-20) and -10 points from: Enemy (Strong Rival) (Equal in Power, 12 or less, Rival X ½) (-10), Enemy (Weak Rival) (Less Powerful, 12 or Less, Rival X1/2) (-5), Enemy (Rival Pack) (Group, 6 or less) (-10).
Skills: Area Knowledge (Hunting Territory) IQ +6 (4), Leadership IQ +1 (4), Tactics IQ +1 (4) and 10 points in Skills, Techniques, and Perks from Way of the High Wolves.

*Pack Rank, broken down as per Social Engineering pp 14: Hierarchy with title +1, Chain of Command +1, Low Resources +0, Not Dominant or Unique (there are other packs) -1. Total 1/level.

Wolf Shaman (68):
Add: Magery 0 (5), Path Book Adept 1 (Eliminates Material/Symbolic Components, Book of the Wolf Only) (6), Path Book Magery 3 (Book of the Wolf Only -40) (18), Pack Rank 2 (2).
Disadvantages: Duty (Pack, 9 or less, hazardous) (-10).
Skills: Area Knowledge (hunting territory) IQ +1, (1), Survival (Woodlands, Mountains, or Arctic) IQ +2 (2), 4 Points in Way of the High Wolf, Ritual Magic IQ +2 (16), Book of the Wolf IQ +2 (16), 8 points in Rituals.

Book for Path/Book Magic
Book of the Wolf: Dreamwalk, Endure Elements, Dose, Fertility, Soothe, Succor, Tirelessness, Vitality, Warrior's Blessing, Aura Reading, Hunters Blessing, Seek Beast, Cleansing.

The Way of the High Wolves 4
The Fighting Style of the intelligent High Wolves.

Skills: Brawling, Running, Tracking
Techniques: Feint (Brawling), Ground Fighting (Brawling), Neck Snap (Teeth), Sweep (Brawling), Targeted Attack (Brawling Bite/Legs), Targeted Attack (Brawling Bite/Neck)
Perks: Ground Guard, Sweep Defaults to Brawling, Pack Tactics, Rapid Retraction (Bite)

Last edited by aesir23; 05-22-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Replaced Status with Pack Rank.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Joe

I like these guys a lot! If I were running a suitable campaign right now, I'd definitely throw them in.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Refplace

I like the writeups as well. Good job,.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
ULFGARD

I really like this! It is yet another item from the various posts here I will be happy to steal...

Very interesting, and they could play such a fascinating role in a campaign.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
aesir23

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. Feel free to use as you wish in your own games. Unfortunately, the game I designed them for never came to pass.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Is it legal for Wolf talent to cover Brawling, a combat skill?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Dwarf Talent covers axe/mace, two-handed axe/mace and thrown weapon(axe/mace). Elf Talent covers Bow and Fast-Draw(Arrow). This is totally legit.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
There's no actual rule anywhere that bans combat skills in talents. B91 says that "Weapon Talent" shouldn't be allowed because it's not a "believable inborn aptitude".

The very useful "Combat Talents" box on Power Ups 3: Talents p. 23 says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Ups 3 p. 23
The Basic Set cautions against permitting Ninja Talent and Weapon Talent, which some gamers read as a ban on Talents benefiting combat skills. There’s no such prohibition, though!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #10
The Benj

What does "True wolves" mean?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote