Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy RPG template formatting

This is a really natural notation for folks who have played games in the World of Darkness style, where (hypothetically) any skill can be used with any of the nine attributes. If a hypothetical 5e were to roll around and we were allowed to slaughter some sacred cows, changing skills to just note relative skill level would definitely be my suggestion. This will call on the GM to ask for a "DX plus Traps" roll or an "IQ plus Traps" roll, rather than just Traps, but I don't know that it's a big burden to say it that way.

OTOH, GURPS 4e doesn't really have a lot of options for where to float your skills to compared to the nine for World of Darkness. Further, the nine WoD attributes were on equivalent scales so floating rolls to Strength didn't produce as wonky results as floating to ST could in GURPS. And in practice many WoD skills didn't really float around much.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
And in practice many WoD skills didn't really float around much.
That final bit is the important part. I can't count the number of times the Storyteller started combat by declaring "roll Wits+Alertness" or how many times I rolled "Dex+Brawl" or "Dex+Firearms." I do know that I very rarely rolled against "Brawl+Apperance" or "Firearms+Stamina." I always wanted to create a list of all combinations and create a list of tasks for as many of them as I could, but the thought of going through 9x30(=270) combinations to try to justify tasks for them was more work than I cared to do.

In GURPS there are relatively few skills that will float; most of the ones that do are going to be DX-based skills with a knowledge component attached - Roll IQ-based Guns to clear a misfire or IQ-based piloting to figure out why the plane won't start. There's not a lot of calls for Knowledge- or Persuasion-based skills to float to other attributes; the likelihood of rolling a DX-based Physics roll or HT-based Diplomacy is pretty slim.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #23
trooper6

I float quite often and if it were just listed as Att+1, people might float more often.

There have been a number of threads on floating already, so I won't repeat all the ideas people have for floating Mental Skills to Will, Health, etc. But there have been lots of ideas.

Also it might be helpful to reverse the thinking...not...what skills can I float to strength, but if I'm trying to use strength to muscle my way through something, which skills in this situation might be helpful. This could inspire you to think about a moment when ST+Architecture might be useful.

Maybe I'll make a simplified character sheet...Hm...
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
This could inspire you to think about a moment when ST+Architecture might be useful.
Unless you are trying to cause a building collapse, you should be rolling ST+Force Entry to 'muscle through'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #25
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Unless you are trying to cause a building collapse, you should be rolling ST+Force Entry to 'muscle through'.
But what about if you're trying to support a destabilized structure long enough for civilians to flee? Knowing where best to put yourself does sound handy.

Now I'd actually handle that as a complimentary skill roll rather than floating to ST, but I'm generally against ST or HT based skill rolls. That makes me biased :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
But what about if you're trying to support a destabilized structure long enough for civilians to flee? Knowing where best to put yourself does sound handy.
Yes, another perfect opportunity for a skill float.

Quote:
Now I'd actually handle that as a complimentary skill roll rather than floating to ST, but I'm generally against ST or HT based skill rolls. That makes me biased :)
Ditto. But mostly because Complimentary skills means more Players will try to take advantage of Action 2's Complimentary skills and Teamwork rules, which I'm all for.

It somewhat decreases the "Jack of All Trades" characters... somewhat.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
1) Notate skill levels and advantage bonuses separately. For instance, Acting (IQ+0+1) [2]. …

2) Notate the final relative skill level only. In this case, it would be Acting (IQ+1) [2]. …

3) Use superscripts. The bard would have Acting (IQ+1)* [2], with a footnote (*Includes +1 from Born Entertainer). …

…I'm curious what others think.
I prefer #3. Information is power. :)
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
I'm leaning towards option 2 as my preference but I'm curious what others think.
I favor Acting +1(12)[2]. If there's a talent modifying it and it applies regardless of stat, I'd put a * after the +1; if it only affects IQ-based acting rolls I would put it after the (12).
Old 09-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #29
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

For those of us who only bought the physical version, and now have to wait for it (and will be buying the PDFs when available), is there an SJG-approved screenshot of a template?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #30
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Here's a screen cap I pulled from the Unboxing Video posted on Facebook. The text is blurry because he's literally flipping through the pages and the template is only visible for a half a second, but you can clearly see the new formatting and layout.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-02-2017 at 07:23 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy