Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #71
tmedwards

Default Re: Updated / New Character Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin_Sonders
Being able to maintain a seperator line between each Load-out group would be nice.
Understood. I'll think about it.

On a previous topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin_Sonders
Continuing on the subject of Load-Outs, can the Load-Out being used to calculate encumbrance be highlighted in some fashion on the character sheet?
This should be in the next Phoenix release. I don't know exactly when that will be as I'm working on something which will probably cause Phoenix users to either want to hug me or hit me. :)

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #72
tmedwards

Here's a Phoenix update. This release requires GCA version 4.0.320 or later.

Here's an example PDF showing the redesigned page one header, primary statistics block, and the encumbrance load-out flagging.

As always, it's available from my GCA resources page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phoenix, version 1.14 ChangeLog
  • Redesigned the Primary Statistics block. It now displays the tech level and size modifier traits by default, as well as sporting new HP/FP record blanks, including breakpoints, which are replaced by the checkboxes if you enable that option.
  • Changed how the various statistics sub-blocks are handled, so they are now treated as their own block, fully integrated into the positioning system. This also means that they are, by necessity, their own self-contained blocks now, rather than being attached to the Primary Statistics block.
  • Merged the old Telekinesis statistic sub-block and the old TK Encumbrance block into the new Telekinesis statistic block. Ugly as sin and badly in need of a redesign, but it works.
  • Redesigned the Unlimited Mana statistic block.
  • Changed the page one header so that: it always displays the race trait, it no longer displays the size modifier trait, as that's handled by the redesigned Primary Statistics block, and the appearance trait makes better use of the space available to it.
  • Changed how split, borrowed, divergent, and superscience tech levels should be recorded. You should now record your extra TL information in either the Tech Level trait's "usernotes" or "notes" tag, preferring the "usernotes" tag, if possible. Previous versions needed this information recorded in the Tech Level trait's Name Extension field, however, this was problematic, so the change was made.
  • Changed how the fatigue points checkboxes section prints the breakpoint chart to conserve space.
  • Changed how the Load-Out block prints the names of load-outs, so that if an encumbrance load-out has been selected, its name will be flagged with bullets.
  • Changed the name of the "Attack Tables" group to "Combat Tables", as that is more fitting to its members.
  • Modified the internal font handling; Phoenix hackers will want to refamiliarize themselves with the new font code.
  • Fixed the Telekinesis statistic block so that it will work properly with the various modifiers that can be added to telekinesis.
  • Fixed the Mage: The Ascension statistic block so it should work with both of the GURPS 4e MtA GDFs floating around.
  • Removed redundant headers from the Defenses block's optional DR table and armor diagram.
  • I might have missed a few changes; shouldn't be anything major, however.
PS: Changes were made to the positioning options. You will need to make use of the Reset to Defaults button on the Character Sheet Options window for Phoenix and redo your preferred options before using Phoenix to print characters.

PPS: Happy birthday, Phoenix. :)

Last edited by tmedwards; 03-20-2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added example PDF
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #73
Corpus

Just a quick question about the Phoenix sheet - when you add a picture to the sheet, is it supposed to auto center the pic in the space or is there a special way to get it to do that? Or does the picture have to match the space available exactly?

Still great though! Thanks!

(Happy b-day Phoenix!)
Old 03-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #74
cjbeiting

Hi, Thomas--quick Phoenixflex question.

Is there a toggle I can hit to get the details of a template to show in the Templates and Metatraits window, but NOT in the Advantages and Disadvantages section? I've been noodling around with different combinations, but haven't hit the right one yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #75
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus
Just a quick question about the Phoenix sheet - when you add a picture to the sheet, is it supposed to auto center the pic in the space or is there a special way to get it to do that? Or does the picture have to match the space available exactly?
Currently, Phoenix resamples the portrait image to fill the portrait block, while preserving its aspect ratio. So, to have an image centered in both dimensions within the portrait block, the image should match the aspect ratio of the block, which is 1:1 (i.e. it should be square). Otherwise, when the image is resampled, to fit the printable area, the larger image dimension will fill its dimension in the block, but the smaller image dimension will come up short, leaving a gap on either the right or bottom of the block, depending on which dimension was short.

What I do, currently, is use Photoshop to make "Phoenix" versions of any image that I want to use as a character portrait. This entails making them 300 dpi and close to the print size of the portrait block. Since the block is square, I position the original image within the new square image however I like best.

I know I considered making Phoenix center images within the block, regardless of aspect ratio, during its initial development, but I didn't do so for some reason. I forget why. Maybe I had a reason, maybe I forgot, maybe I just got lazy. Who knows. :)

PS: If you ever wanted to create images that didn't require much resampling, the portrait block is roughly 3.71875 in. (94.45625 mm) square when printed on US Letter. It's a bit smaller on A4, but not enough to make a difference.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #76
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbeiting
Hi, Thomas--quick Phoenixflex question.
Phoenix please, "flex" hasn't been part of its name since its initial development. It was originally there as an homage to the sheet that inspired me to write Phoenix, FlexSheet, but after a few people became confused about which sheet was which, understandable since I currently maintain FlexSheet as well, I decided to drop it from the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbeiting
Is there a toggle I can hit to get the details of a template to show in the Templates and Metatraits window, but NOT in the Advantages and Disadvantages section? I've been noodling around with different combinations, but haven't hit the right one yet.
It should by default, if I understand what you want. However, the options you want are:
  • Under Template/Advantage/Disadvantage Options the Print the components of package traits (templates, meta-traits, etc.)? option should be set to: Yes. This will cause templates and meta-traits to show their component traits in the Templates And Meta-Traits block.
  • Under Global Options the Print hidden traits? option should be set to: No. This will allow templates and meta-traits to hide their component traits from blocks other than the Templates And Meta-Traits block.
Note: If after setting the above options to the listed values, you are still seeing the components of the template/meta-trait in question in other blocks, then it probably just doesn't hide them with the hides() tag.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #77
tmedwards

Here's a Phoenix update. This release requires GCA version 4.0.320 or later.

As always, it's available from my GCA resources page.

Phoenix, version 1.15 ChangeLog
  • Fixed the Points Summary, Description, and Notes blocks to honor their column and page break options.
  • Removed the Global Options section and folded the options it contained into the Miscellaneous Options section. No changes were made to the affected options, they were just shuffled around a bit.
  • Fixed a very minor issue with the HP/FP checkboxes.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #78
tmedwards

Announcing Phoenix 1.16 (requires GCA 4.0.320 or later).

Phoenix is always available from: http://www.motoslave.net/thom/gca/phoenix/

Phoenix 1.16 highlights:
  • Rearranged some of the options to collect all of the block printing options under one option section and all of the positional options under one option section.
  • Changed the default order of some of the blocks in the positioning system, the social blocks now precede the template/ad/disad blocks by default, rather than the other way around.
  • Upgraded the Column Break option into the Column Switch option, which toggles between the columns on the currently active page, instead of merely forcing a column break. Additionally, the Page Break and Column Switch options are not exclusive, so if you enable both options for a given block they with both be executed, page break first, column switch second. These changes will allow users even more control over where blocks print.
  • Merged the Additional Statistics block into the primary statistics block and changed its option to make it easier to pick and chose from among the default statistic choices.
  • New optional primary statistics block checkboxes for Stress Points and Energy Reserves.
  • New optional Unlimited Mana ancillary statistics block checkboxes for Umana Power Tally.
  • New optional ability to force the Points Summary block to print at the bottom of the first or second page.
  • Split the global print hidden traits option into a list option containing all blocks that previously honored the global option.
  • New built-in support for the page() tag under descriptive tags.
See the release notes for more information.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #79
tmedwards

Announcing Phoenix 1.17 (requires GCA 4.0.320 or later).

Phoenix is always available from: http://www.motoslave.net/thom/gca/phoenix/

Phoenix 1.17 highlights:
  • Changed the Defenses block's optional expanded DR table to include a column for DB scores. Note: When the expanded DR table is set to three column mode the note column is dropped due to space constraints.
See the release notes for more information.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #80
tmedwards

This is not a announcement for a new Phoenix release. I'm posting this here for Phoenix users who don't check this forum often, but are subscribed to this thread to stay abreast of updates.

If this describes you, and you haven't already seen it, you may wish to check out the Phoenix 1.18 development/discussion thread. There are some changes in the works that you might want to voice an opinion about before you get stuck with the results. :)