Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
NyneWunWun

Default Are Items given to a Hireling stuck there?

Can items played on the Hireling be removed, or are they bound to the card? For example: say I'm a warrior and use the Hireling to equip the Staff of Napalm. If I become a wizard, can I then move the Staff and put the Mithril Armor on the Hireling?
NyneWunWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Are Items given to a Hireling stuck there?

I moved this post out to its own thread since it was not a direct follow-up to the original question. We like to keep things to one question per thread, whenever possible, with follow-up questions to the original question or a response. New questions should go into new threads.

Nothing is permanently linked to a Hireling when you give it an Item. The cases where you can not "unlink" cards are noted on the cards. Cards like Cheat! or the Item Enhancers.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
eedee

Can a regular hireling even carry a Staff of Napalm? Isn't for wizards only? Couldn't it be only used by a wizard hireling?
eedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
FireTigeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedee View Post
Can a regular hireling even carry a Staff of Napalm? Isn't for wizards only? Couldn't it be only used by a wizard hireling?
IIRC it would need to be a wizard Hireling.

The Hireling cards list what their abilities are; so if a card requires ... wizard and your hireling isn't you can't have him use a wizard specific weapon or armor.
Star: S0D, SS.
Zombie: Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4.
Fantasy: M0D, M7, M8, L1, L2, L3, MP, MgP, KB, SK, PA.

Last edited by FireTigeris; 02-08-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added some punctuation
FireTigeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

There is a specific card from both Munchkin and Munchkin 3 called Hireling, which can carry and use any (and I mean any) Item. It's essentially a Cheat! card with a +1 bonus, and you can change which Item it is using and carrying, as long as you're not in combat. Without any other evidence to the contrary, I have to assume that is the card being asked about.

Also, please remember that this is the Munchkin 101 forum, and we ask that if you have to guess, please don't answer.
MiB #1029
Old 02-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
evikour

Since this is my question too,let me see if I got it right...
The Hireling card from Munchkin and Munchkin 3 sets can carry any item even a one from a different Class/Race of mine.
When I am combining these Munchkin sets with Munchkin 4,does it change that rule?I mean a wizard-only item can be only carried by the Wizard Hireling and not the one from sets 1,3?
evikour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

The text on Hireling doesn't get overridden by the use of a set that includes other Hireling cards. The most recent rules printed with the Hireling rules is in Munchkin 5, and should match those in Munchkin 8. Here's a link to the Munchkin 5 rules, in English:

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules...nged_rules.pdf
MiB #1029
Old 02-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
evikour

Thanks for the link! It was pretty enlightening,but since I am a foreigner some things are difficult for me to comprehend.
You said that the text on Hireling doesn't get overridden by the use of a set that includes other Hireling cards. What I understand from this is:
-The Hireling card from Munchkin 1 and 3 allows me to carry and use ANY item of ANY Class/Race. The card itself also gives a +1 bonus in combat plus the bonuses from the item it carries.
-The Hireling card from Munchkin 4 has slightly different abilities. For instance the Wizard Hireling can only carry and use wizard-only items.It can't carry for example a second big item or an item that needs a third hand,right? The card also gives a +2 bonus in combat plus the bonuses from the item it carries plus any other abilities the card says.
Am I right so far?
If i get cursed to lose my class do I lose the Wizard Hireling and the item it carries?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evikour View Post
Thanks for the link! It was pretty enlightening,but since I am a foreigner some things are difficult for me to comprehend.
You said that the text on Hireling doesn't get overridden by the use of a set that includes other Hireling cards. What I understand from this is:
-The Hireling card from Munchkin 1 and 3 allows me to carry and use ANY item of ANY Class/Race. The card itself also gives a +1 bonus in combat plus the bonuses from the item it carries.
Any Item. Doesn't matter if it's Class/Race/gender limited.

Quote:
-The Hireling card from Munchkin 4 has slightly different abilities. For instance the Wizard Hireling can only carry and use wizard-only items.It can't carry for example a second big item or an item that needs a third hand,right? The card also gives a +2 bonus in combat plus the bonuses from the item it carries plus any other abilities the card says.
There are many types of Hirelings in Munchkin 4, Munchkin 5, and Munchkin 8, and they typically have all kinds of different abilities from the card named Hireling (found in Munchkin and Munchkin 3). Some Hirelings, like Wizard Hireling, will carry and use an Item that Race or Class can use. This means that the Wizard Hireling can use any Item that a Wizard can use, not just Wizard-only Items. Another way to look at it is that a Wizard Hireling can be given any Item that doesn't say "not usable by Wizard," or "usable by X only" where X is not Wizard.

Quote:
If i get cursed to lose my class do I lose the Wizard Hireling and the item it carries?
A Wizard Hireling is not a Class, so no.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 02-10-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
evikour

You were very clear!Thank you!

Can I for example use the Wizard Hireling as a "simple" Hireling and give it to carry something that requires a third hand/extra head/extra big item etc?