Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: Which weapons may be Fine Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
so then ALL Rapiers are omitted as cutting?
'Limited', not omitted, was how I read it... rapiers can receive a +1 damage enhancement, but not +2. Not entirely unreasonable, but I would probably carve out an exception for rapiers in my game.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #22
JustAnotherJarhead

Why is a Saber "cutting" , but a Rapier is not?

* "Cutting" weapons can go up to +2 damage, and other weapons listed can go up to +1 damage.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #23
Skarg

It seems to me that whether a rapier is a cutting weapon depends on whether you imagine a rapier is a smallsword (a short light sword with a sharp point but little or no blade) or a fully bladed heavy rapier, which can be about as heavy as what TFT calls a broadsword.

Since TFT's "rapier" is the lightest possible sword type with the lowest damage, I tend to think it would be more like a smallsword rather than a full rapier.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #24
JustAnotherJarhead

i think of a foil as a thrusting only weapon, or an epee'

A Rapier as the thinnest lightest weapon capable of a slash with an actual edge. as depicted in the weapons table LE ITL pg. 109
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #25
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It seems to me that whether a rapier is a cutting weapon depends on whether you imagine a rapier is a smallsword (a short light sword with a sharp point but little or no blade) or a fully bladed heavy rapier, which can be about as heavy as what TFT calls a broadsword.

Since TFT's "rapier" is the lightest possible sword type with the lowest damage, I tend to think it would be more like a smallsword rather than a full rapier.
I agree. If you haven't handled one, the historical rapier is a surprisingly serious object that likely deserves a higher damage stat and ST requirement. My house rules introduce the 'side sword', a ST 11, 2d-1 sword that can be used with the Fencing talent; this is effectively the equivalent of a historical rapier.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #26
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
i think of a foil as a thrusting only weapon, or an epee'
Quite so -- I was mentioning it merely as something thin enough to hide within a staff or cane, not proposing it as an addition to "cutting" weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I agree. If you haven't handled one, the historical rapier is a surprisingly serious object that likely deserves a higher damage stat and ST requirement. My house rules introduce the 'side sword', a ST 11, 2d-1 sword that can be used with the Fencing talent; this is effectively the equivalent of a historical rapier.
For fencing before the Fencing talent existed, we house ruled "Fencing Swords" as a sub-class of swords all to itself, moving the rapier and main-gauche to that sub-class and adding the epee, foil, and saber (which at ST 11 was the heaviest of the class and did 1+2). A fighter using a Fencing Sword could use that weapon twice per turn: 2 attacks, 2 parries, or one of each in either order. (But 2 fencing actions per turn was at -3DX to each; if you took the first action at full DX then you weren't allowed the second one, so you had to think hard in some situations.) I still prefer those house rules, as they made for exciting duels consisting of ripostes and counter-ripostes.

We allowed our saber to come in the fine version, and combined with our fencing rules that became a very desireable weapon indeed, so much so my all-time best fighter "downgraded" to that late in his career even though his ST allowed him heavier weapons.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #27
KevinJ

I present to you this scholarly presentation on weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38q-...7u997Te93jYGAx

Sure it as you will when adjudicating the rules or writing house rules for weapons.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #28
jason taylor

Quote:
Why is a Saber "cutting" , but a Rapier is not?

* "Cutting" weapons can go up to +2 damage, and other weapons listed can go up to +1 damage.
A saber is a cavalry saber not a sport saber. The former has mass enough to get a good enough blow in the edge whereas a rapier is to thin to have much mass for a cutting stroke. Cavalry need the edge to eliminate contestants in seconds and move on as their ultimate success is to slaughter fugitives and finish an army up for good.

A sport saber scores points from the edge but in real life would be more like a whip than a sword if used to fight with.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #29
oldwolf

Personally, I would consider rapiers to be cutting weapons. I think a lot of people confuse rapier and epee. Epees are clearly not cutting weapons but to quote Merriam Webster: Definition of rapier (Entry 1 of 2)
: a straight 2-edged sword with a narrow pointed blade.

To me, the two edges clearly indicate the potential to cut.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #30
hcobb

I'll take a very fine estoc please.