Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default A Certain Sense of Detachment

Assume you've got a race whose hat is patience. It's not that they are prone to tardiness, but given the physical necessities of life they can outwait anyone and anything. They simply don't feel boredom and only feel urgency when lives are in immediate danger. They can wait for trees to grow and mountains to erode. And yes, they are Immune to Aging, thanks for asking. What's their psychological trait?
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: A Certain Sense of Detachment

Patience og Job perk.
Might have to build a reverse Impulsiveness disad
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

It is just a quirk unless it provides any bonuses. If it is supposed to give a bonus, I would model it as Will+4 [20] and Visualization (Based on Will, +20%; Immediate Preparation Required, 1 hour, -75%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [10]. The patience of the race is rewarded if they spend enough time examining the issue. Younger members of the race have less patience, represented by lower levels of Preparation Required and Reliable.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Michele

A bonus to Will, with an Accessibility limitation. They have a stronger Will - but only when it comes to waiting without getting bored or becoming otherwise unable to keep waiting. Probably, given that Will serves for facing a long list of other mental difficulties, it's a -80% adjustment (the maximum discount). That means each additional point in Will, for this purpose only, costs 1 CP.

You may package Single-Minded with it, or just list it as a common trait for these guys.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

GURPS Discworld has
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOREDOM IMMUNITY page 93
You’re absolutely and completely immune to boredom. If your basic requirements (if any) for food, drink, air, and exercise are met, you can sit in the same place for millennia without your mind going. You also get +3 on any rolls required to ignore distractions while working on some task.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Ah. So that's exactly what I was looking for. Too bad I don't know Discworld.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Stormcrow

Doesn't seem right. Most of the time, a distraction has to do with stopping someone from completing a magic ritual, and so forth. These aren't about you trying not to become interested in something more attractive than what you're doing, they're about your ability to ignore something else that's important. For example, in the Explosives skill, "swarms of biting ants" is an example distraction. Being smugly immortal wouldn't protect you from this, even if it's not life-threatening.

I think the needed trait might grant bonuses to long tasks, a sort of opposite to Short Attention Span. That makes me think that the desired trait is just Single-Minded, with a bit of flavor text to explain its origin. Maybe rename it to make it suitable.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Sounds like Single-Minded + Patience of Job [Net Cost 6] or Patience of Job + Attentive [Net Cost 0] to me.
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Phil Masters

I put Boredom Immunity into Discworld because it was specifically needed there, but the fundamental problem is that GURPS, like most RPGs, doesn’t actually have rules for boredom — ironically, I guess, because saying that a character failed some task because they got antsy and fidgety is, well, boring.

If you had such rules, and they were sufficiently savage and applied often enough, it’d be worth more than a perk.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I put Boredom Immunity into Discworld because it was specifically needed there, but the fundamental problem is that GURPS, like most RPGs, doesn’t actually have rules for boredom — ironically, I guess, because saying that a character failed some task because they got antsy and fidgety is, well, boring.

If you had such rules, and they were sufficiently savage and applied often enough, it’d be worth more than a perk.
GURPS has Distractible and Short Attention Span. Don't those count?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote