Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Eddie T

Default Mystical Teleporter Operation Skill/Spell

Hey folks, I need a Pro-Tip or two again.

I'm looking for a skill or spell that covers the operation of mystical teleportation sites. Think a prehistoric site like Stonehenge, or the Pyramids, or other pre-electronic sites.

Electronic Operation (Parachronic) doesn't really seem to fit. I've run CTRL+Fs on Magic, Thaumatology, and Basic for teleportation, dimensional, and interdimensional and not really found anything. Am I missing something out there somewhere?
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Mystical Teleporter Operation Skill/Spell

Depends on the magic system. The spell magic system has an activate gate spell, IIRC.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Eddie T

I should have thought of "gate." I'm a huge Stargate fan. I knew I was missing something.

Control Gate looks like what I'm wanting. Thanks!
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

There's no skill specifically for magic portal operation that I know of (not counting the spell sir_pudding mentioned as a skill, since spells have other restrictions). If you think knowing how to operate a portal should be covered by general theoretical knowledge of magic, you could use Thaumatology, and someone who wanted to specialize in just portal magic could take an optional speciality, which put it as a Hard skill instead of Thaumatology's overall Very Hard. They could even take an optional speciality of that, for just "portal magic operation", which would be Average.

If you don't think general magical theory is the right skill for magic portal operation, you can always create a new skill. That, in part, is what catch-all skills like Hobby, Professional, and Expert Skill are for. If you think operating a magic portal is average, it's Professional Skill (Portal operator), while if you think it should be hard, it's Expert Skill (Portal operator).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

If you don't think general magical theory is the right skill for magic portal operation, you can always create a new skill. That, in part, is what catch-all skills like Hobby, Professional, and Expert Skill are for. If you think operating a magic portal is average, it's Professional Skill (Portal operator), while if you think it should be hard, it's Expert Skill (Portal operator).
Hidden Lore (Portals) might be appropriate too.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In my last full campaign gates were permanent and the process to construct one involved both Architecture (Sacred) and a specific magic Book ritual.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
Electronic Operation (Parachronic) doesn't really seem to fit. I've run CTRL+Fs on Magic, Thaumatology, and Basic for teleportation, dimensional, and interdimensional and not really found anything. Am I missing something out there somewhere?
I don't think I've ever read a story where magical portals were complicated enough to require a skill. Usually you either just step through, or there is some fairly simple procedure that wouldn't call for a skill roll, maybe a perk to know it in the first place if it's obscure, but not a roll to carry it out.

But yeah, if it were complicated enough to justify one, what to use to operate anything complex that isn't Electronic or a Vehicle is a hole in GURPS skill list. I use Machine Operation (if it's mechanical) or Device Operation (for anything else) for that.