Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default Attention Deficit Theater Presents: Tartarian Gods

The fantasy setting that has been percolating in my head for a few years is based on the fundamental idea that all the mortals who got punished for hubris or otherwise cursed by the gods in Greek mythology are actually "demoted" gods, described as mortals or cursed monsters by the victorious priesthoods in order to discredit them. Objectively this is what happened at least in some of the cases. The story of Endymion definitely was about a non-Greek religion's moon god, and Apollo's slaying of Python is made up to explain how the Apollo priests took control of the obviously chthonian Oracle of Delphi.

The premise is that the defeated gods took their remaining followers and found a new world to inhabit. My hope is to split the difference between the tidy artificiality of a religion that was designed and the over-familiarity of a real religion.

Tantalus: God of Prosperity. When the Storm Tyrant demanded that Tantalus sacrifice his own son, Tantalus managed to substitute a carved effigy for the real Pelops, the first time. When the Tyrant discovered the deception and made the demand again Tantalus managed to trick the Tyrant into demanding the fruit of his loins, and sacrificed his own testicles, replacing them with a leather bag containing ivory cubes. The third time however,, the Tyrant made no demands but slew Pelops personally. So Tantalus stole a magic immortality=granting drink from the Tyrant and used it to restore Pelops's life.

Medusa, the Veiled Goddess: Goddess of Protection and Secrets. The mysterious veiled priestesses of Medusa are sought out by those who wish to avoid the notice of threats, or to keep treasures secure. But they are also sought out by those who wish to seek advice or just unburden their secret thoughts to one will never repeat what they say to another. The daughters of Medusa only show their faces to those they wish to curse.

Sisyphus, the Trickster: Reknowned for his battles of wits with Death and his ability to escape any trap he is prayed to by the families of those with serious illnesses, as well as by captives, rebels, thieves, jesters and people who like to party.

Ixion, the Sun God: Battled the Storm Tyrant to free Nephele, the rain goddess and avenge her rape, was defeated and bound to a burning wheel in the sky, inflicting endless day and and drought upon the land until Sisyphus helped him escape to fight in the final war of the Old World. Worshipped together with his wife Nephele for desirable weather and on his own for protection against supernatural predators of the night. Also worshipped by soldiers.

Arachne, the Spider Goddess: Defeated the Storm Tyrant's daughter in a weaving contest and partially credited with the creation of the New World along with Tartarus. Patron of crafters and artists, but also strategists and bureaucrats. Spiders are of course sacred to her. Killing spiders is taboo for fear of her anger.

Lykaon, the Wolf God: Notable for changing his worshippers into wolves. Those of sufficient strength of mind to retain their human mind are returned to human form while the others serve the priests of Lycaon as wolves for the rest of their lives. The Patron of woodsmen, soldiers, werewolves.

Python, the Snake God: God of the earth, oracular prophecies and healing. Took the form of a giant snake in order to devour the Plague-Bringer but became deathly ill in the process.

Pandora, the All-Mother: Goddess prayed to by parents, parents to be and children to grant them things like strength, health, good looks and talents.

Niobe, the Lady of Sorrows. Known for having all of her children killed by the Plague-Bringer and the Dark Huntress, Niobe has become the patron of the orphaned and widowed and those who suffer and sorrow. She acts as the goddess of mercy. Her priesthood is very much at odds with the followers of Tartarus.

Tartarus, god of suffering. Followers of Tartarus teach that the "New World" is in fact a hell, an afterlife devoted to inflicting misery on the wicked humans from the "Old World". They are reincarnated in this world to suffer for their offenses again and again until they have suffered sufficiently to expiate their crimes and can be reborn in their original world which is now an unimaginable paradise. Actually experiencing pleasures in this world, will only prolong one's confinement and ultimately increase one's suffering.

Endymion, the sleeping god: Endymion the Moon God was cursed into perpetual sleep by the Dark Huntress, but may still communicate in dreams. His prriests are experts in divining omens from dreams and shaping moonlight.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: Attention Deficit Theater Presents: Tartarian Gods

These are awesome, and I think they do well for the middle way objective you set.
Will you keep it strictly Greek, or will cast offs from other pantheons (Egyptian, Celtic) appear?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I would probably also include Prometheus, perhaps as a god of change.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I would probably also include Prometheus, perhaps as a god of change.
Are you conflating Prometheus and Proteus?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Are you conflating Prometheus and Proteus?
Better than either confused with Priapus.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Phantasm

I'm thinking Prometheus would be a god of fire, knowledge, and magic, and a proud friend of humanity.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Better than either confused with Priapus.
But Priapus didn't get exiled by Zeus, so no worries there. If anything you'd think he'd be a pretty important guy on Olympus, considering all the goings on.

EDIT: I take it back, while he didn't get exiled by Zeus, he sure ran afoul of Hera before even being born! So he's probably in Tartarus along with everyone else :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
These are awesome, and I think they do well for the middle way objective you set.
Will you keep it strictly Greek, or will cast offs from other pantheons (Egyptian, Celtic) appear?
Greek mythology is so very productive and well documented but I could do something with the Tuatha de Danaan and the Fomorians maybe. I've also considered importing the known Etruscan gods even though they didn't leave much in the way of surviving mythology. But then neither did the Romans. Roman gods didn't exactly...do...stuff except in the Aeneid because someone hired a poet to copy the Odyssey.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Phantasm

For the Norse gods, going by the archeological record it seems as though Tyr's widespread worship in Norway was essentially wedged out by Woden/Odin's worship coming up from Saxony and into Denmark and Sweden. Snorri's Eddas seemed to place him in a lower rank of god than Thor and Odin, despite the record of oaths to all three gods in the same breath.

I'd probably put Tyr in the group of "cast-off gods". Also possibly Logi (often mistaken for or merged with Loki, the "all-consuming fire"), his wife Glöð (Glut, "glad" or "glowing embers", and daughters Eisa and Eimyria (whose names also seem to mean "embers" or "glowing embers").

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
For the Norse gods, going by the archeological record it seems as though Tyr's widespread worship in Norway was essentially wedged out by Woden/Odin's worship coming up from Saxony and into Denmark and Sweden. Snorri's Eddas seemed to place him in a lower rank of god than Thor and Odin, despite the record of oaths to all three gods in the same breath.

I'd probably put Tyr in the group of "cast-off gods". Also possibly Logi (often mistaken for or merged with Loki, the "all-consuming fire"), his wife Glöð (Glut, "glad" or "glowing embers", and daughters Eisa and Eimyria (whose names also seem to mean "embers" or "glowing embers").
Tyr is an example of a god that lost his position of dominance but wasn't entirely expelled. He was still worshipped. Tartaria is more for gods who lost their divine status entirely. Of course that could include gods who were subsumed, losing their individual identity like Logi.

Tags
clerics, fantasy, gods