Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Jariel

Default [DF] Codex Edition

After getting and reading through DF 16 I started thinking about Dungeon Fantasy as a whole.
First, I'm sure no one expected Dungeon Fantasy would reach 16 books (not counting Fantasy Monsters, the Mirror of the Fire Demon and various Pyramid articles), but since it has, I was wondering if there are any plans to do a new PDF (or better yet, a hardcover) integrating all the various rules, templates (Ninja, Mentalist, Summoners, etc.), equipment and other things into a more cohesive form. Basically a second edition of Dungeon Fantasy. I don't expect this right away, but maybe after we reach DF 20 or DF 30 it might be needed. The current line covers a lot of ground and it can be easy to overlook somethings.
Second, I hope (along with many others) that DF 17 will do for towns what 16 did for the wilderness. It would be nice to see towns and cities fleshed out a little more and would allow for new types of adventures and dangers.
Third, after reading DF 16: Wilderness Adventures I thought that a pirate campaign might be fun, especially if they had flying ships. It would allow the PC's to experience various types of wilderness, new towns, new dungeons, and make the swashbuckler less of a liability, since a swashbuckling pirate would make an interesting PC. Of course it would also require new rules to simplify ship-to-ship combat, and it would also need new rules to upgrade and modify ships. I have Spaceships 3 and it has rules for pirates, but those are more for space pirates than fantasy pirates. I also know I could use Spaceships 7 for creating ships (and flying ships). I think the main reason that this stuck out at me is because I have the Skull and Shackles Adventure Path (if you don't know, it is a pirate themed AP for Pathfinder) and some of the encounters could be converted to DF pretty easily not to mention the maps could be used pretty easily too. Also, there's not much difference between the typical DF murder-hobo and pirates, except pirates have a ship to act as a mobile home base.
I'm really only interested in getting an answer to the first part. The second and third were really more of a wish than anything else. Personally I would love a DF hardcover, but realistically I know that's unlikely at this time.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [DF] Codex Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jariel View Post
I was wondering if there are any plans to do a new PDF (or better yet, a hardcover) integrating all the various rules, templates (Ninja, Mentalist, Summoners, etc.), equipment and other things into a more cohesive form. Basically a second edition of Dungeon Fantasy.
We currently have no plans to do this, as it's unlikely that we'd sell enough copies to justify the significant amount of time (and thus money) that it would take to make it. Many Dungeon Fantasy purchasers prefer to pick and choose specific volumes that make sense for their campaign, which suggests they'd have a low interest level in buying a compilation. And for the completionists, we'd be asking them to buy the material they already have all over again -- just in a more streamlined format. Either way, it'd be a hard sell, and thus not a gamble we're interested in taking.

Don't take that negatively, though! Dungeon Fantasy has been a very well received series, and we plan to continue supporting it fully. We just plan to do so in the current format -- a series of smaller, focused books, rather than trying to fit 'em all into one massive megabook. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Jariel

Thanks for the reply. I knew it was wishful thinking, but it was something I was thinking about for a while so I thought I'd bring it up. Still it might not be a bad idea for the next edition of GURPS, maybe then we could get a hardcover.
I don't have a problem with the way DF is handled, in fact I'm looking forward to more DF books. Are there any plans for more adventures or more monsters?
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

While there may not, and may never be, an official Dungeon Fantasy collection that doesn't stop you from doing your own giant sized POD through a service like Lulu. A while back I printed one up for Dungeon Fantasy, at a fairly reasonable price. You may want to check out this thread:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...98#post1603498

and in particular my post here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=12

The downside, of course, is that new PDFs will come out that aren't in your Omnibus. The upside... it gives me reason to eventually print a DF Omnibus II.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
We currently have no plans to do this, as it's unlikely that we'd sell enough copies to justify the significant amount of time (and thus money) that it would take to make it. Many Dungeon Fantasy purchasers prefer to pick and choose specific volumes that make sense for their campaign, which suggests they'd have a low interest level in buying a compilation. And for the completionists, we'd be asking them to buy the material they already have all over again -- just in a more streamlined format. Either way, it'd be a hard sell, and thus not a gamble we're interested in taking.
I'm not sure it's true that all DF people are so picky and choosy. With certain books, sure: Not everyone wants DF: Sages or DF: Ninjas, but I expect the first three have sufficient universal appeal that you could package them.

To my mind, a more important consideration would be "Who would buy a bundled version of the books they already have?"

If GURPS 5e rolls around and SJGames decides it wants to do a new edition of DF, I could see it being made as a compilation to begin with (that is, DF as a single, large, hardback), but doing it as one now? Yeah, I see why one would call that a gamble.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
While there may not, and may never be, an official Dungeon Fantasy collection that doesn't stop you from doing your own giant sized POD through a service like Lulu. A while back I printed one up for Dungeon Fantasy, at a fairly reasonable price.
I just saw the photos. Looks great!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, print on demand