Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #61
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: CR for the U.S. ca 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Yeah, I'll let them have SMG's. Their first adventure will be against a ghost anyway. :)
There are a few simple (and realistic) tricks that can help keep firepower under control, too. Ammunition costs money. A PC can only plausibly carry so much of it. Pitch darkness, thick fog, etc, make guns less useful (or at least less safe to use, if the PCs insist on firing blind, that can be used, too).

If guns are not properly cared for, they fail. It's quite realistic for a PC's gun that has not been properly cared for to fail at the Worst Possible Moment (real life works that way).
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #62
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Trying to gun down Nyarlathotep or Cthulhu is unlikely to end well, and conventional weapons probably couldn't do anything to the Color out of Space, but most monsters? If they're not killed with firepower it's because nobody had the opportunity, not because it wouldn't work.
Then again, a tramp freighter through the stomach did at least phase Cthulhu. Who says a 37 mm autocannon wouldn't keep him at bay until they ran out of ammo?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #63
David Johnston2

That was actually his wimpy nephew Pthred
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #64
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Yeah, I'll let them have SMG's. Their first adventure will be against a ghost anyway. :)
Why have I now got in my head a new series of brutal and very short Scooby Doo episodes?

"Now let's find out who this ghost used to be..."
Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #65
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Why have I now got in my head a new series of brutal and very short Scooby Doo episodes?

"Now let's find out who this ghost used to be..."
That actually touches on another serious firepower issue, i.e. errors. If the PCs spray a hail of bullets at the werewolf, and a few of them hit innocent bystanders, then they have a problem. A big problem, even if they got the werewolf. Likewise, if they shoot the monster and it turns out to be (in this case) a guy in a suit running a scam, they have almost as big a problem as they did with the innocent bystanders. Autofire makes it easy to make big mistakes very quickly, and DAs and police are rarely impressed by "I was shooting at the werewolf."

That doesn't mean the PCs shouldn't use the weapons, necessarily, but it's one more handle to keep the situation under control. If the monster is in the middle of a crowded area, the automatic weapons are suddenly much less useful (and a skilled rifle-user might suddenly be more so).
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #66
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Then again, a tramp freighter through the stomach did at least phase Cthulhu. Who says a 37 mm autocannon wouldn't keep him at bay until they ran out of ammo?
I think the freighter was more through the face, though it's been a bit. I kind of figure a small ship at ramming speed has more punch than a light cannon...

Mostly I'd argue against it because if one 37mm could hold him at bay, the Elder Things should have won their war. Though one could suppose that he has additional switchable or active defenses that simply weren't turned on when he got a boat to the head, and similarly might neglect to activate when some terrestrial mammal points a bitty little metal tube at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
That actually touches on another serious firepower issue, i.e. errors. If the PCs spray a hail of bullets at the werewolf, and a few of them hit innocent bystanders, then they have a problem. A big problem, even if they got the werewolf. Likewise, if they shoot the monster and it turns out to be (in this case) a guy in a suit running a scam, they have almost as big a problem as they did with the innocent bystanders. Autofire makes it easy to make big mistakes very quickly, and DAs and police are rarely impressed by "I was shooting at the werewolf."

That doesn't mean the PCs shouldn't use the weapons, necessarily, but it's one more handle to keep the situation under control. If the monster is in the middle of a crowded area, the automatic weapons are suddenly much less useful (and a skilled rifle-user might suddenly be more so).
It's advisable to have a plan to deal with successful use of lethal force before you go around applying lethal force.

Also, not to hose down crowds with machineguns as a rule. (Though if the werewolf is running amok in a public area, you might have some witnesses speak up in favor of your opening fire. Not so much if the werewolf is out shopping.)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
SimonAce

Another thought re: guns.

The US has many legends about monster sightings well into the 20th century and as such its perfectly possible for a Sheriff once convinced of the threat to throw on with the PC's

Monster hunters do not always have to be outlaws. And such a condition, a monster hunting posse those SMG's would be more than welcome.

Last edited by SimonAce; 07-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control rating, gun control, horror, lovecraft, pulp