Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: CR for the U.S. ca 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As a side note, the concept of CR can be nebulous in some societies, as weapons control is not always done by means of law; it might be legal to own something, but still get you in trouble to carry it around.
A concept which is usefully explored in GURPS Space, with its varied types of formal and informal CRs.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As a side note, the concept of CR can be nebulous in some societies, as weapons control is not always done by means of law; it might be legal to own something, but still get you in trouble to carry it around.
Indeed, I personally don't find Control Rating a useful concept except for weapons ownership in modern industrialized societies. I still think Asta Kask is looking at the 1920s through post-WW II glasses (“obviously governments regulate X”). Goverments in the 1920s had very little involvement in most of the areas that we expect them to regulate today. When the first mass-produced SMG came out in 1918, its not surprising that few places had regulated them by 1921.

Of course, whatever the adventurers can get, their enemies can get too ... and this is a period where people in trouble with the powers that be lacked many protections that they have today.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRover View Post
First of all, I'd recomend leting them have the guns, and using them when it's appropriate. Sometimes, solving a problem by riddling it with more bullets than it can swim with is satisfying.
"Is that an MP5? It is! (Evil laugh) Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!" - Gordon Freeman, Freeman's Mind
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
"Is that an MP5? It is! (Evil laugh) Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!" - Gordon Freeman, Freeman's Mind
Freeman can talk?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Freeman can talk?
Nope. Remember, that was all in his mind;)
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
vierasmarius

It is intriguing that Black Mesa hired a Mute scientist for one of its most confidential projects. But maybe they figured they could use a guinea pig that couldn't blab secrets.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Freeman can talk?
Freeman's Mind is a series that's just the play-through of the first Half-Life with a guy dubbed over as Freeman's thoughts (or statements, it's a little unclear).

Some highlight quotes:
  • This is a bad experiment! We are bad people! WHY DID WE USHER FORTH THE GREEN APOCALYPSE?!
  • Look at all these dead scientists! This rescue mission's a disaster.
  • I'm on your side! How many of you do I have to kill before you understand that?!
  • You know, I'm starting to think this isn't a rescue operation...
  • Dammit, my beard betrayed me! They found my ID because I'm the only ****ing scientist in here with a beard! If I went with that stupid Einstein hairdo they wouldn't have been able to pick me out from a lineup.
  • Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, everyone dies!
  • If you can't take the heat, get out of the rocket propulsion test chamber!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #28
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Of course, whatever the adventurers can get, their enemies can get too ... and this is a period where people in trouble with the powers that be lacked many protections that they have today.
A substantial point. If the local sherrif decides he doesn't want you carrying something, it really doesn't matter much what the law actually says. He can have you arrested, beaten up and framed for something and there is very little you can do about it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
A substantial point. If the local sherrif decides he doesn't want you carrying something, it really doesn't matter much what the law actually says. He can have you arrested, beaten up and framed for something and there is very little you can do about it.
When we're talking about a bunch of PCs with submachineguns, the failure of the law to protect them against local law enforcement abuses isn't necessarily going to mean there's very little they can do about it.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #30
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I still think Asta Kask is looking at the 1920s through post-WW II glasses (“obviously governments regulate X”).
I think that's it. "You must unlearn what you have learned."

Tags
control rating, gun control, horror, lovecraft, pulp