Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Realm magic

Is there any complications (beyond book keeping and extra work on the GM for interactions), with having different realms for different practitioners in the same game world?

I.E. The Masters of the Arcane using 7 realms (Life, Matter, Energy, Time, Space, and Mind

However Dragonblooded practice far more limited sub realms (Beast, Man, Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Movement, Illusion, Mind, Knowledge)

The Gods themselves on the other hand practice (Matter (comprising both living and unliving matter), Dimension (Time and Space), Mind, Energy and Soul), with perhaps different pantheons or individual gods practicing only limited subrealms depending on their portfolio.

and in a related question, is there any complications pairing this with Path/book magic for more limited practitioners who are far more ritual bound for their works?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Realm magic

Nope.
I use something similar which call Affinities.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Phantasm

One thing I've experimented with is having sub-realms that are half the point cost of a wider realm.

For example, if I go with six core realms - Energy, Mind, Matter, Spirit, Space, and Time - at 20/level in a 6-level arrangement, a houngan animating a corpse or Gypsy with a shapeshifting curse would use a sub-realm of Matter called Body for 10/level. Likewise a beastmaster type would use a sub-realm of Mind called Animal, also 10/level, and also likely Body rather than Matter.

Not every sweeping realm has to have sub-realms, of course. I'm having a hard time (pun not intended) thinking of potential sub-realms for Time, for example. But the half-price sub-realm concept works wonderfully for me.

If it helps, think of sub-realms as a -50% Specialized or Accessibility limitation on the main realm.

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
One thing I've experimented with is having sub-realms that are half the point cost of a wider realm.
I use the standard categories such as fr Detect and other powers.
Control can give you a good model here. So Broad, Narrow, Occasional. etc all costing differently.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Control can give you a good model here. So Broad, Narrow, Occasional. etc all costing differently.
I'll be honest, I never considered going into that fine a detail for it, but it is an intriguing thought. I prefer to keep things relatively simple, but I can see the appeal of a more finely granulated approach. Care to give some examples?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

As long as the cost of the Realms reflect the inaccessible Realms of the setting, I do not see any particular issue.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'll be honest, I never considered going into that fine a detail for it, but it is an intriguing thought. I prefer to keep things relatively simple, but I can see the appeal of a more finely granulated approach. Care to give some examples?
http://refplace.blogspot.com/p/the-l...ary-human.html
You'll notice the styles are not balanced against each other but that is a setting decision. I was not concerned with balance between various professional guilds and players will choose the best for them.
My GURPS Wiki entries