Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Path/Book Magic and Energy Accumulation

A little confused by this system... Does the energy come from the mage? Or is it from an external source?

Additionally I seem to be missing any system to help set definitive costs.

Some help?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Path/Book Magic and Energy Accumulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
A little confused by this system... Does the energy come from the mage? Or is it from an external source?
Mostly, it comes from an external source - the ambient mana of the area the mage is working in, more concentrated stuff in a place of power, or energy drawn from other living things through sacrifice. It can come from the mage, if they're willing to spend their own FP or HP to power the spell, but that's not necessary. "Whatever the energy points used here stand for, they don’t correspond to FP" (emphasis in original, Thaumatology p. 134).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias
Additionally I seem to be missing any system to help set definitive costs.
If by "definitive costs", you mean the energy costs for each ritual, there isn't one. Each ritual has its own assigned cost (that's the value listed after "Energy Accumulating" in each ritual), but if you're inventing new rituals, you'll just have to eyeball it, comparing the effect to other rituals and making a best guess at a reasonable cost.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Path/Book Magic and Energy Accumulation

Actually, Energy Accumulation can use any energy source other than the mage, depending on the metaphysics of the setting. In one of my campaigns, I had it use the ambient heat in the environment, meaning that a noticeable chill would proceed the finale of major rituals. Alternatively, you could have it tap into psychic energy, spiritual energy, etc. Mana is only one options among many.

Base energy cost should probably be around 1 though 15. A minor ritual (less powerful than Calm the Winds) should cost 1 energy while a major ritual (more powerful than Doom) should cost 15 energy. Remember though that most rituals have variable effects and ritual parameters that increase energy cost and that mage cannot handle an energy cost greater than (effective skill + 5).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote