Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-28-2021, 01:39 AM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default XML Errors?

I am trying to upload some characters to Roll 20. In order to do so, you first have to export to XML, then convert the XML to a JSON and upload that to Roll 20.

Okay, so first character worked fine, but the 2nd character I am getting errors in every XML to JSON conversion I try gives errors, except one didn't care, but when I tried importing that JSON data to Roll 20, it didn't work...

I know NOTHING about XML so I don't even know what to tell you about what the error might even be...

Though one of the converters does say something about "end tag name not found for Character" at the very end on the </Change Log> line

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 04-28-2021 at 01:51 AM. Reason: adding error message?
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:10 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: XML Errors?

Have you tried one of the XML validators? Just search "xml validator".
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Have you tried one of the XML validators? Just search "xml validator".
Ah, thanks... okay so this seems to be the issue...

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 3567, Column 13:
<taboo*disabled*><![CDATA[AD:Extra Sleep, DI:Less Sleep, DI:Sleepy, DI:Slow Riser, DI:Insomniac]]></taboo*disabled*>
------------^

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:11 AM   #4
Celjabba

Any chance you could share the character file ?

It look like it is related to "doesn't sleep", given the taboo list, and could be due to the '*' in *disabled* ?

If the character have doesn't sleep, could you try removing it, just to be sure ?
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

When your character has a racial template, and you disable one trait that doesn't apply, GCA will change around some things so that all of the point values work out correctly, and so that you can re-enable it later. It also creates the "NO X" trait with the opposite cost to mirror the change.

Some of the new tags created during that process are name*disabled*(), needs*disabled*(), and taboo*disabled*(), which will contain the original values.

I don't recall off the top of my head if * is disallowed in XML tag names, but that does look to be the issue.

You could use a text editor to search-and-replace those three tag names to replace the * with _ and it will then probably be fine; or even just replace them with no *, just "namedisabled", "needsdisabled", and "taboodisabled" or something. That shouldn't hurt anything at all for your purposes. (You could also delete those entries from the XML, but that's more work than a search and replace.)

Last edited by Armin; 04-28-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I don't recall off the top of my head if * is disallowed in XML tag names, but that does look to be the issue.
It is. AFAIR: "letters, digits, hyphens, underscores, and periods" and can't start with the characters "xml"
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
When your character has a racial template, and you disable one trait that doesn't apply, GCA will change around some things so that all of the point values work out correctly, and so that you can re-enable it later. It also creates the "NO X" trait with the opposite cost to mirror the change.

Some of the new tags created during that process are name*disabled*(), needs*disabled*(), and taboo*disabled*(), which will contain the original values.

You could use a text editor to search-and-replace those three tag names to replace the * with _ and it will then probably be fine; or even just replace them with no *, just "namedisabled", "needsdisabled", and "taboodisabled" or something. That shouldn't hurt anything at all for your purposes. (You could also delete those entries from the XML, but that's more work than a search and replace.)
Ah, yes! Thank you, that was the issue!

Also, thanks again to Roger for telling me about XML validation!

Tags
gca