Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
cvannrederode

Default Modal Dialogs off-screen over RDP

This is an obscure bug, and I'm probably the only one who experiences, but as someone who makes my living writing software, I am compelled to document the behavior.

I have a Windows 10 Pro, with two monitors, and it's come to pass that when running GCA, I normally have it on the "second" monitor. When opening modal dialogs (such as the modifier dialog for traits), the dialog opens on the other (primary) monitor. Which is perfectly okay.

But...occasionally I use the computer over windows remote desktop (RDP) -- with only one "monitor" (a single full screen window), and in that situation, if I open a modal dialog, it opens off screen. There's no way to get to the dialog (it's not listed in alt-tab). I can close it, since it always has focus and I can just hit ESC.

So, just a heads up.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Modal Dialogs off-screen over RDP

Thanks. The next version of GCA will be on a new code-base, so we'll have to see how that handles such things. I'm afraid there's not anything I can do to fix this in the current version.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #3
Stormcrow

While I can't fix the problem, I can tell you how to get around it.

When the modal dialog is open but off-screen, press Alt-Spacebar, then Enter, then an arrow key. The dialog should jump to one of the edges of the screen, and you should be able to move it by arrow keys or the mouse to a new position. Click the mouse or press Enter to finish the move.

This won't work if you have Alt-Spacebar mapped to some other program. PowerToys, for instance, includes a search bar that is activated by Alt-Spacebar by default.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
Lilybets

Stormcrow, it has worked! Thank you very much!
Lilybets is offline   Reply With Quote