Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone
Default is this how a AU Tarantula would pursuit after human target?

I found this fight scene between Batman VS Spider military robot!

and after seeing the robot spider being so very persistence on persecuting and fighting Batman, I was wondering if the AU Tarantula robot from ROS would behave in the same way or even far more stubborn persistence on hunting after a human target?

https://youtu.be/wpCU37i-i_k

PS:

if there is a rule that prohibit to post YouTube video links in this forum, i apologize and you can delete this thread if you want because I broke such rule, again I'm very sorry if I broke a rule of "not post youtube links".

there is a wikia dedicated to the DC animated series where this robot spider appeared that give all the information of this 3 special episodes.

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
droid17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:15 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: is this how a AU Tarantula would pursuit after human target?

My impression is that Tarantulas are stealthier than that, and better at psychological warfare, but this could vary widely between individuals.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
My impression is that Tarantulas are stealthier than that, and better at psychological warfare, but this could vary widely between individuals.
i think the reason the robot spider was not hunting Batman in a more stealthier fashion is because Batman was already aware of its present and star fighting back and run and then fighting again with all the gadgets weapons Batman have.

in the scenes were Batman tied up shut with his special strong string the metal doors and then the robot spider easily open tear apart those doors and then another second metal doors with its pointed legs, my question is, can the Tarantula AU unit do that if I too close shut a metal door and put something on it to keep it shut so to have more time to run away from the Tarantula Exterminator?

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid17 View Post
can the Tarantula AU unit do that if I too close shut a metal door and put something on it to keep it shut so to have more time to run away from the Tarantula Exterminator?
It has ST 25 and Monowire Talons, which add up to 6d-1 cutting with an armour divisor of 10. It will get through any plausible metal door, but the time that takes depends on the thickness (p. B558). It will be through a quarter-inch thickness steel door in 3 seconds, or 2 with good damage rolls, an inch-thick door will take 4-5 seconds.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #5
droid17

Quote:
It has ST 25 and Monowire Talons, which add up to 6d-1 cutting with an armor divisor of 10. It will get through any plausible metal door, but the time that takes depends on the thickness (p. B558). It will be through a quarter-inch thickness steel door in 3 seconds, or 2 with good damage rolls, an inch-thick door will take 4-5 seconds.
and the scene were batman manage to lock or trap the robot spider's leg on the news paper big printer machine, could a human try to do that trap trick to a AU Tarantula Unit too?

Old 01-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think the biggest differences here are that the Tarantula carries around a ranged weapon, and that they tend to be more clever than relentless... though that will vary. But I'd expect more subtlety in a Tarantula fight.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
droid17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think the biggest differences here are that the Tarantula carries around a ranged weapon, and that they tend to be more clever than relentless... though that will vary. But I'd expect more subtlety in a Tarantula fight.
then I guess if Batman had existed on the dystopia apocalyptic future of Reign Of Steel and had all his technological weapons gadgets, he would be the only human that could endure a battle "mano a mano" with a Tarantula AU exterminator.

since ordinary survivalist civilians nomads and even military trained resistance fighters tend to mostly loose against this smart insect exterminator unit, cording to the book narrative.

sadly on the entertainment media, this is the only close example of a hostile and smart military spider like robot that i found and sort act look similar like the ROS's Tarantula AU unit.

if any of you know another video scene of another smart and lethal spider robot going after a human target from animated series, anime, film, etc...please show it to me i would appreciated thank you.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:03 AM   #8
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid17 View Post
then I guess if Batman had existed on the dystopia apocalyptic future [...] he would be the only human that could endure a battle [...]
Batman follows extremely cinematic/narrative rules. He will almost always win in the end, not because his unbelievable skills and gadgets would necessarily make it possible, but because he is Batman and that is how these stories go. He'll dodge every bullet, laser and plasma beam, but frequently take blows to the head and get into back-and-forth fisticuffs with random tough-guy human bruisers.

If you stick Batman and his tactics to a fairly realistic dystopia and don't carry his invincible plot-protection and occasional plot-clairvoyance he'd be dead ten times over. The stuff that surprises him when he deals with his usual enemies would just straight up kill him. You're not really supposed to use a character like him in a high-deadliness setting without plot-protection unless the point is something like dark humor, or illustrating that 'acting like a hero' doesn't work in this world, etc.

If you're looking for inspiration for characters that would excel in these types of settings I'd look more at real-world soldiers like Simo Häyhä.

Last edited by RedMattis; 01-30-2021 at 03:08 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
Imbicatus

I’d say a more realistic approach would be in the final act of the first Matrix film when the sentinels are breaching the Nebuchadnezzar. They’re more squid based than spider based, but they peel through the hull in very little time and without an emp the entire crew would have died.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
droid17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Batman follows extremely cinematic/narrative rules. He will almost always win in the end, not because his unbelievable skills and gadgets would necessarily make it possible, but because he is Batman and that is how these stories go. He'll dodge every bullet, laser and plasma beam, but frequently take blows to the head and get into back-and-forth fisticuffs with random tough-guy human bruisers.

If you stick Batman and his tactics to a fairly realistic dystopia and don't carry his invincible plot-protection and occasional plot-clairvoyance he'd be dead ten times over. The stuff that surprises him when he deals with his usual enemies would just straight up kill him. You're not really supposed to use a character like him in a high-deadliness setting without plot-protection unless the point is something like dark humor, or illustrating that 'acting like a hero' doesn't work in this world, etc.

If you're looking for inspiration for characters that would excel in these types of settings I'd look more at real-world soldiers like Simo Häyhä.
oh yeah i just forgot that Batman as well ALL comic books super heroes and heroines, humans or mutants or alien humanoid type are extremely cinematic trope.

i made a mistake thinking that maybe Batman may had survive the fighting encounter with 1 Tarantula AU exterminator unit on close range fight.

truth Reign of Steel is more realistic as it can be and far less cinematic trope style like all Hollywood's machine's uprising apocalypse films or TV series.

Tags
david pulver, gurps, ogre, reign of steel, robots