Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: What Should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Wasser View Post
I don't think you necessarily need the Guide itself - last I checked, the secondary market price is rather steep, and I may sell mine for that reason...
As a side note, that's less of an issue now that the GMG is available as a PDF from e23 ... no more scalper prices for second-hand copies.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #12
JCD

To piggy back on Beth's post:

Superiors discusses much more detailed information about the specific Superiors.

For example, Michael will have the two pages of information you find in the core book (saving you from wading through two books). But then it has expanded rites and attunements. From there it discusses details of his history then politics. It discusses exactly what his servitors do, how he uses them and other bits and pieces of his organization, such as secret societies, personal stories and a few game ideas.

I don't consider any of them a waste of money.

If you are diffident, buy one of the single ones to get a sense of the layout. But not Litheroy or Zadakiel. They seem...sparse. Lilith is probably the best since Her Girlz are hard to RP and the geas mechanic page is worth the price right there!
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
Also, I have heard good and bad stuff when it comes to the rules? Am i perfectly fine using the rules as is? Because it needs to be pretty bad to bother with houseruling stuff, and as i understand it, the GM guide gives optional rules that fixes a few things?
I personally use the GMG version of calculating hit points, and have never turned back on that decision.

Canonically, it took me a long time to wrap my brain around the d666 mechanic, but once I got it I prefer it to any other randomizing system.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I personally use the GMG version of calculating hit points, and have never turned back on that decision.

Canonically, it took me a long time to wrap my brain around the d666 mechanic, but once I got it I prefer it to any other randomizing system.
I agree with Heretic on the body hits.

The mechanics? It is what it is. You will find guns underpowered and swords etc overpowered. It's part of it's 'charm'. (i.e. you like it or you don't)
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
KjetilKverndokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Wasser View Post
"Vampire: the Requiem" sourcebook Damnation City is absolutely essential for any game set in a modern urban area.
I own everything oWoD and nWoD - and its right that Damnation View is a fantastic book, but i kind of built my own urban City 6 years prior to that book.

Read most of the GM guide, besides the optional rules, most of the stuff is kind of easy to decide without the book, in that way Im glad I only paid 7 dollars for the pdf. I do see that the book is good for those that are inexperienced with roleplaying games though.
KjetilKverndokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
KjetilKverndokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post

I must say that the recalculating of hit points seems to much better done then the original idea in the core. it still will take quite some time.

I do hope the rules flows smoothly, thats the best thing, otherwise i do have a backup plan, and thats hacking the whole thing over to FATE.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Rocket Man

I've found that the mechanics flow pretty smoothly and give the game a unique feel. That said, I've also found this to be a very character/atmosphere oriented game, where the mechanics are often less important than the story. And JCD is right -- don't be startled when you find out how weak guns are, especially when compared to swords. That is a deliberate design decision (and not a unique one, I remember how the old James Bond 007 game scaled everything around the handgun the way IN does around the blade).

Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
Jennifer

The Superiors books are great sources if you want to play with celestial politics, as they include detailed history of the Superiors in question and internal organizations for the servitors of each. They also have a few new attunements, but the vast majority is background material rather than crunchy mechanics. For example, the Andrealphus section in Sups 2 mentions things like the PFD (Lust's secret police) and a secret alliance between Andrealphus and Novalis. Stuff like that could be great plot fodder if you want to draw the PCs into a conflict between Lust and The Game.

They are not so useful if you're going for a Corporeal mission-based campaign where the PC just do the job they're given and don't have to worry about higher-up repercussions.

Me, I like them - but I prefer my gaming to be more intrigue-oriented than combat-oriented, so your mileage may vary.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
KjetilKverndokken

Looks like its going to be about Demons this game, not 100% certain yet, but two out of three players have voiced themselves in that direction.

Im probably going to ignore any npc's in the books, with the exception of the Superiors. I want to place the setting in Norway - and modernize it to our date.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
I want to place the setting in Norway - and modernize it to our date.
Let me know how that plays out! I have a GM who's been running an angelic campaign (with strong Ethereal influences) set in Gothenburg, Sweden. It'd be fun to compare notes sometime.

Tags
meta