Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
chandley

Default [Powers] DR with Absorption and Power Block

So, if I have DR with Absorption, and choose to make a Power Block with it, the rule seems pretty clear that I double my DR on a success and lose it on a failure.

What about the Absorption battery though? Does that double on success? I say no, since the description of Absorption kind of reads as the battery being separate but equal from the DR. If no, what kind of enhancement price would let you double it on a skill roll? Absorption is +80%, requires active defense is -40%... Limiting an advantage suggests an enhancement to allow you to double your absorption pool on a successful power block is +48%. That seem right? The total would be DR (Absorption +80%, Double Absorption Battery on Power Block +48%). Seems kind of pricey, but the battery is basically all that +80% is GETTING you, so maybe thats fair.

My other question was: Is it legal to slap Ranged +40% on DR to let you interpose your DR at, well, range? I had this construction in mind: DR (Absorption +80%, Force Field +20%, Ranged +40%). The idea is you can suck damage out of attacks or damaging environmental effects into your Absorption battery at range, rather than having to either bathe in the effect or get hit by the attack directly. Im not certain Force Field is required, seemed sensible though. The enhancement Wall isnt what I want here, there is no real barrier being created by the DR, its just sucking energy into Absorption (or thats the intent anyway). I suppose it might take a Wait maneuver to intercept an attack outside of your turn, since placing the power at a particular spot within range is, what, a concentrate maneuver? Maybe an attack.

Thanks
chandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
B9anders

Default Re: [Powers] DR with Absorption and Power Block

re the range: I'd imagine you'd need force field, affects others and area effect first. This to make the DR more than personal protection. Slapping ranged on it after that seems pretty straightforward.

It might be better to make a wall though. I've never had a problem with IA: Wall taking modifiers from DR.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
re the range: I'd imagine you'd need force field, affects others and area effect first. This to make the DR more than personal protection. Slapping ranged on it after that seems pretty straightforward.

It might be better to make a wall though. I've never had a problem with IA: Wall taking modifiers from DR.
Absorption seems a pretty odd one to slap on an IA:Wall though. Still, I see what your saying.

I dont need the DR to be able to protect other people in this instance, nor to really form a force field in the shape of a shield or globe (a la area effect). Just need to be able to move the DR (with Absorption) into the way of an attack or into like a bonfire. Pretty much a ranged power block actually.

So IA: Wall. It provides DR 3 and 1/2 HP per die of innate attack. A Small Piercing attack IA costs 3 per die, needs Area Effect +50% and Persistent +40%, and could be a fixed shape for Wall +30%. So thats +120% on the IA, and +200% with Absorption, for 9 points per 3 DR in the wall. DR with Absorption +80%, Force Field +20%, Area Effect +50%, Ranged +40%, Persistent +40% (to basically make it do the same thing as our IA: Wall construction) is 49.5 points per 3 DR. I suspect that Absorption on IA:Wall is not going to fly with most GMs who see that.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

I'd rule that a Power Block doubles the Absorption Battery's Capacity. (Absorption +1, (+80%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) +48%) appears to be a valid method of achieving the effect if the GM rules otherwise. And: (Absorption +1, (+80%; Affects Others 1, +50%; Ranged, +40%; NO Absorption, -100%) +72%; Selectivity, +10%) looks to be a good way to add a ranged option to a more standard Absorption (without interfering with the more standard Absorption's typical functions), with the understanding that this now requires a successful ranged attack, is visible, must penetrate DR and can be defended against by the normal methods if used at range. Modify to taste.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Absorption seems a pretty odd one to slap on an IA:Wall though. Still, I see what your saying.

I dont need the DR to be able to protect other people in this instance, nor to really form a force field in the shape of a shield or globe (a la area effect). Just need to be able to move the DR (with Absorption) into the way of an attack or into like a bonfire. Pretty much a ranged power block actually.
If you can move your DR into a bonfire you're not standing in, you can definitely move it to protect another person.

This isn't a ranged power block, this is an attempt to recharge your absorption pool without risking being damaged yourself, yes? This is definitely Affects Others + Ranged.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If you can move your DR into a bonfire you're not standing in, you can definitely move it to protect another person.

This isn't a ranged power block, this is an attempt to recharge your absorption pool without risking being damaged yourself, yes? This is definitely Affects Others + Ranged.
A potent argument, thanks. But I could get away without Area Effect at least, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire
I'd rule that a Power Block doubles the Absorption Battery's Capacity. (Absorption +1, (+80%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) +48%) appears to be a valid method of achieving the effect if the GM rules otherwise. And: (Absorption +1, (+80%; Affects Others 1, +50%; Ranged, +40%; NO Absorption, -100%) +72%; Selectivity, +10%) looks to be a good way to add a ranged option to a more standard Absorption (without interfering with the more standard Absorption's typical functions), with the understanding that this now requires a successful ranged attack, is visible, must penetrate DR and can be defended against by the normal methods if used at range. Modify to taste.
In your second construction, which I like, whats the "NO Absorption -100%" meant to represent? Just the battery capacity portion of Absorption, not the actual ability to convert damage into temp character points?

Thanks guys, this is looking pretty solid.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
In your second construction, which I like, whats the "NO Absorption -100%" meant to represent? Just the battery capacity portion of Absorption, not the actual ability to convert damage into temp character points?
That it doesn't, by itself, grant Absorption.

So:

DR 1 (Absorption, +80%) (Absorption +1, (+80%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) +48%) (Absorption +1, (+80%; Affects Others 1, +50%; Ranged, +40%; NO Absorption, -100%) +72%) (Selectivity, +10%) [11.5]

(Absorption, +80%) ... gives standard functionality.
(Absorption +1, (+80%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) +48%) ... doubles the Absorption Battery Capacity on a successful Power Block.
(Absorption +1, (+80%; Affects Others 1, +50%; Ranged, +40%; NO Absorption, -100%) +72%) ... allows the above enhancements to be used at range without interfering with Absorption's and Damage Resistance's normal functions.
(Selectivity, +10%) ... lets you turn off the ranged version of Absorption when you don't want to use it.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
That it doesn't, by itself, grant Absorption.

So:

DR 1 (Absorption, +80%) (Absorption +1, (+80%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) +48%) (Absorption +1, (+80%; Affects Others 1, +50%; Ranged, +40%; NO Absorption, -100%) +72%) (Selectivity, +10%) [11.5]

(Absorption, +80%) ... gives standard functionality.
(Absorption +1, (+80%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) +48%) ... doubles the Absorption Battery Capacity on a successful Power Block.
(Absorption +1, (+80%; Affects Others 1, +50%; Ranged, +40%; NO Absorption, -100%) +72%) ... allows the above enhancements to be used at range without interfering with Absorption's and Damage Resistance's normal functions.
(Selectivity, +10%) ... lets you turn off the ranged version of Absorption when you don't want to use it.
Aha, elegant! Thanks. That third clause is useful even if your allowed by the GM to double your battery on a successful power block.

Ill run with that, appreciate the help!

Tags
absorption, damage resistance