Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: How does 5e D&D compare to the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
You can get either a feat or a attribute bonus every 4 levels rather than both like in 3.5.
More on this topic. The attribute bonus earn points varies heavily by class. Most classes get them roughly every 4 levels, some get more of them, more often, some get less.

The Feat thing, however, is entirely in the category of Optional Rules, so it depends on the DM using them or not.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
More on this topic. The attribute bonus earn points varies heavily by class. Most classes get them roughly every 4 levels, some get more of them, more often, some get less.
The default is to get bumps at 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19. Fighters get additional bumps at 6 and 14, rogues get an additional bump at 10. I suspect these additional bumps are expected to be used on feats, as on most builds only the first two bumps are especially important.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The default is to get bumps at 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19. Fighters get additional bumps at 6 and 14, rogues get an additional bump at 10. I suspect these additional bumps are expected to be used on feats, as on most builds only the first two bumps are especially important.
I don't assume they'll be used on Feats since Feats are explicitly mentioned to be Optional, and only if the DM allows them.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
I don't assume they'll be used on Feats since Feats are explicitly mentioned to be Optional, and only if the DM allows them.
Frequently balancing, such as it is, is done with the assumption of all options turned on.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #15
robertsconley

Quote:

The Feat thing, however, is entirely in the category of Optional Rules, so it depends on the DM using them or not.
Yup, feats are good for flavor but as far as overall combat prowess for either path is equally effective in my experience.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #16
robertsconley

Quote:
Frequently balancing, such as it is, is done with the assumption of all options turned on.
Not with D&D 5e, I had characters use them and not use them, both equally effective throughout the campaign.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Sarge

I've played AD&D (1st edition), 2nd edition D&D, 3rd edition, and now 5th edition.

1st, 2nd & 3rd edition all had the same problem. Fighter types were great at low levels and casters were horrible, at high levels fighter types were weak and casters were near-gods.

5th edition is much better balanced than that. All classes are pretty much great at all levels. There are a few exceptions if you take some of the weaker specialties.

I really enjoyed all of the previous editions of D&D, except 4th which I read and never played, and IMHO 5th edition is a clear improvement over previous editions.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #18
Anthony

4th edition is a weird side case. It's actually a perfectly fine game on its own merits, but as an edition of D&D it somehow feels off.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
Tom H.

Quote:
4th edition is a weird side case. It's actually a perfectly fine game on its own merits, but as an edition of D&D it somehow feels off.
There are things not to like about 4th edition D&D, but I find the design and presentation of the rules for game mechanics like combat to be some of the best.

The ability to parse the essence of mechanics out for reference is a fine art in rules writing.

Fourth edition clearly separated mechanics from discussion, highlighted and labeled key steps, and presented an unambiguous flow.

I know the game got a bad rap, but go back and review the elegance of Chapter 9 Combat and Chapter 5 Skills.

It may not be perfect, but this was a hallmark of useful presentation.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #20
Tom H.

I think my ideal system would be some hybrid of D&D 5th Ed. and GURPS.

D&D for the abstractions and GURPS for the verisimilitude.

I recently delved more into 5th Edition until I hit a big snag: your character automatically heals all lost HP damage after any long rest.

I really dislike that kind of trivialization and cinematic feel, but maybe some of you can enlighten me on how it really plays.

However, when I thought about the issue more, it did seem that D&D characters never lacked much for healing; they just had to keep up with all the magical resources. In this way, you may be less dependent on keeping your supply stocked.

P.S. Looking back at 4th edition, the healing was almost as sensationally abundant as well.

Now it does appear that Douglas Cole has mended the trivialization of injury in 5th Edition with enhancements added to his compatible and recent Dragon Heresy RPG. Vigor becomes the cliche HP supply, while the separate Wound mechanic adds more gravity.

I haven't played it yet, but Dragon Heresy does appear to creatively put back the grit and tactics into 5th Edition.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote