Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Dalin

Default Crafting arrows

I have a scout in my DFRPG game who wants the quirk, "Won't buy arrows." The idea is that he crafts his own. We like the flavor of this and it fits his loner / anti-civilization tendencies, but we're not sure how to manage it in practice. The armory skill (Adventurers, p. 73) specifically says that "crafting from scratch is too slow for adventurers."

One idea might be to spend the same amount of money (buying arrowheads from a village blacksmith, buying feathers from a druid, bribing someone to let him cull wood from the royal grove, etc.) and just basically have the quirk as a special effect. Maybe require a day per x number of arrows?

What about bodkin and cutting? Are they just as easy or hard to craft? What does it take to produce a fine arrow?

It's a cinematic game, so something quick and vaguely plausible works for us. If knowledgeable folks want to chime in on the realistic version too, that's fine and we can simplify from there.

Thoughts?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Crafting arrows

Just let them buy arrows at half the price on a successful Armoury (relevant specialization) skill-roll, fouling half the amount on a failed roll, and causing 1d-1 imp (no armour) to eye (or any other humorous body part you feel like) on a critical failure. Critical success doubles the amount of arrows gotten.

GM needs to adjudicate the results (of course), but the above should be decent enough for most purposes.

In case you want to limit the above, limit them to something like 100 arrows per day made this way.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
Bruno

I would handle it as a variation of the rules for scraping up money in town; I would roughly benchmark against Bumming, Busking, Haranguing, $2 times margin of success in arrows. Conveniently, an arrow costs $2!
Prerequisites would be some sort of toolkit, critical failure results in breaking the toolkit and needing to replace it.

This may be tried every day, but you cannot scare up cash in other ways while doing so. This leaves enough time to be involved in everything else in town outside the Scoring Extra Cash section, and handwaves away sourcing the raw materials.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
zuljita

I think Bruno's approach is elegant and fits DFRPG quite nicely. If that ends up being too slow, consider applying the self-made Armor discount for buying pre made materials and doing your own assembly.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Anthony

Yeah, the statement about crafting weapons is mostly about large ticket items.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Dalin

Thanks, all, for the quick replies. This all sounds good. Critical successes could produce fine arrows, so he can still get those, but won't want to waste them.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
Heimdallsgothi

arrows were generally mass produced taking crafting in multiple disciplines to accomplish
Smiths can make an arrowhead in about 30 minutes
Then you need fletchers for attaching the feathers and arrowheads
Wood workers for creating arrow shafts and straightening them
Given the correct training and tools an arrow took less an 2 hours to make, but 3-5 artisans and several different workshops to pull off

In the wild you're likely dealing with stone/flint arrow heads and wild found shafts which look straight.
So penalties against metal armors, less penetration, range is really impacted with the poor fletching/arrow shafts etc
Heimdallsgothi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armory, arrows, scout