Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #41
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: New Scenario: Dogpile

I'm curious how the units were set up in these playthroughs...for example, what was in the inner ring and second ring surrounding the OGRE?

Is there any noticeable advantage in having all Heavy Tanks in the first ring? This forces the OGRE to ram loosing 2 tread units instead of 1 for other units on the first turn. It seems it would because it's reducing the OGREs tread units as fast as possible, maybe I'm not looking at it right or it's apples and oranges and doesn't really matter either way.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #42
ghostofjfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I'm curious how the units were set up in these playthroughs...for example, what was in the inner ring and second ring surrounding the OGRE?

Is there any noticeable advantage in having all Heavy Tanks in the first ring? . . .
Tim, I drew armor units blindly from a cup. The Mk IV usually tried to ram MSL or GEV units on turn 1; the Mk V and Mk VI didn't mind spending treads to ram HVYs. I considered giving the Paneuropeans control over their setup, but I haven't come up with any optimizations yet.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #43
Winter Maren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post

Is there any noticeable advantage in having all Heavy Tanks in the first ring? This forces the OGRE to ram loosing 2 tread units instead of 1 for other units on the first turn. It seems it would because it's reducing the OGREs tread units as fast as possible, maybe I'm not looking at it right or it's apples and oranges and doesn't really matter either way.
I played it with 2 GEV, 2 HVY and 2 MSL in the inner ring then 4 of each in the outer, always spacing them like G - H - M - etc to always provide a varied defense.

When I played it, the Mark V destroyed all of the defenders and had 1 main, all of the secondaries and 13 treads remaining, although the defender rolls were terrible. Mobile LADs may have may have helped so they could have run from the Mark V that was losing its legs. (I understand that is contrary to the initial design but just brainstorming). Maybe 2/6 D1 M1? Although Henry Cobb's calculator shows 2/7 D1 M1 might be closer to an equivalent cost. But with a nod to MHWZ, I like 2/6.

Last edited by Winter Maren; 10-31-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: I left out a sentence.
Winter Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #44
Winter Maren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofjfd View Post
My initial impression was that a Mk VI with two external missiles and zero racks was still pretty robust, especially when the balance is only 24 INF squads. But I'll hold comments about balance till I log more playings, including more f-t-f.
Agreed. I was reading through here to see if the Mk VI had those two missiles internal or external and now the 6 is a lot more beefier.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #45
Winter Maren

Other than ghostofjfd, I didn't see much playtesting of the Mark IV. Here were my results:

1 G G G G H M | MB MR MR
2 M M G | MR 2B 2B (8 missiles remaining, unlaunchable)
3 G
4 M H
5 H H
8 mk iv immobilized with only APs left

The Mark IV is soft for this scenario!