Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #41
Joe

Default Re: Vote up an Urban Fantasy Setting

My four cents:

3 - Creatures of the Night
4 - Dragons
1 - Enchanted beasts
2 - Other (If this wins, I'm happy to agree to others' others. If you get me.)
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #42
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I must be honest, I want other to win just so we can start up another of those wonderful 'Race Submissions' threads. The last two have provided me with creatures for multiple games...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #43
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I must be honest, I want other to win just so we can start up another of those wonderful 'Race Submissions' threads. The last two have provided me with creatures for multiple games...
We will probably do that anyway, for fairies. GURPS Fairies provides a starting point on crunch and a lot of ideas.

We may also have some tinkering on witches ( hag monsters that could also be considered fairies, witchy human variants, lens or templates for human witches).
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #44
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
I'll second that--or at least ghouls that gain memories via eating (and possibly can shapechange into someone they ate--I forget if that's a real Lovecraftian/mythical ghoul ability or if that's just from Supernatural). I'm not entirely sure we want them to always have the hooves and canine appearance that Lovecraft's did. I like that as a base form, however.
Memories, yeah nice one.

GURPS Fantasy folk ghouls are cool, too.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #45
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
We will probably do that anyway, for fairies. GURPS Fairies provides a starting point on crunch and a lot of ideas.

We may also have some tinkering on witches ( hag monsters that could also be considered fairies, witchy human variants, lens or templates for human witches).
Well, some faery questions for the group:

Will they be divided into Seelie/Unseelie courts or not? Is there a single faery "culture" or are there many, so that British Isle faeries are Seelie/Unseelie but African faeries have a completely different hierarchy?

How do they view humans? Can the two interbreed? Are there such a thing as changelings--either part-fae or fae that have replaced human children cuckoo-like?

Are there lots of distinct breeds of faery, or are they simply capable of glamour so they appear however they like and there are relatively few types, or even only one?

And a witchy questions:

Can anyone become a witch via study, do you have to be born to a witch or in a certain bloodline, or do you have to make a deal with something in order to gain witchy powers?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #46
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Will they be divided into Seelie/Unseelie courts or not? Is there a single faery "culture" or are there many, so that British Isle faeries are Seelie/Unseelie but African faeries have a completely different hierarchy?
I like the Dresden Files take, the build Seelie/Unseelie Courts plus the Wild Fae

Where the Chagelings are half-fae that when then grow they have tho chose either their mortal heritage or their fae heritage
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #47
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Well, some faery questions for the group:

How do they view humans? Can the two interbreed? Are there such a thing as changelings--either part-fae or fae that have replaced human children cuckoo-like?

Are there lots of distinct breeds of faery, or are they simply capable of glamour so they appear however they like and there are relatively few types, or even only one?

And a witchy questions:

Can anyone become a witch via study, do you have to be born to a witch or in a certain bloodline, or do you have to make a deal with something in order to gain witchy powers?

Some of those may make it onto polls. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #48
Randyman

2 • Creatures of the Night (If this one wins, we will do another poll to pick a set of specific monsters from the GURPS, Creatures of the Night books—including the one for 3E)

3 • Dragons (presumably they have some means of hiding from/among humans, unless they are all asleep)

4 • Enchanted beasts (e.g. witches’ familiars, magically uplifted/”awakened “animals)

1 • Other (please be specific. I this one wins, we will do one more poll with new entries based on your votes/comments) [Lowest preference; I don't have a fetish about non-traditional creatures.]

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #49
Sciencezam

4-Creatures Of The Night
3-Dragons
2-Other-Skinwalker, Wendigo, MIB, assorted sub-humans
1-Enchanted Beasts

As for becoming a witch-I like the idea that someone has to get real, real crazy before they can become a witch. Like they're a normal human for whom sheer hatred turns them into...something else. Kinda like Medea, if she only got her powers after Jason cheated on her.
Sciencezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #50
Celjabba

Greater value number rank= greater preference.

3• Creatures of the Night (If this one wins, we will do another poll to pick a set of specific monsters from the GURPS, Creatures of the Night books—including the one for 3E)

2• Dragons (presumably they have some means of hiding from/among humans, unless they are all asleep)

1• Enchanted beasts (e.g. witches’ familiars, magically uplifted/”awakened “animals)

4• Other : Hounds of Tindalos or similar Time-travel related creature

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote