Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #31
dataweaver

Default Re: Vote up an Urban Fantasy Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
E.g.: some weird group of people with access to subtle powers, such as the ability to seal agreements between people into destinies, trade in luck and fortune, see uncanny connections, influence the way organisations act in subtle ways without being able to mind-control individual humans etc.
Diplomancy would fit nicely with Witches, Warlocks, and Evil Sorcerers, as well as with faeries. Ultimately, they don’t strike me as a unique monster type so much as an unusual(?) field of magic; I could see writing it up as a Path or Book.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #32
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Other Monster category, please rank 1-4.
That means: 1, 2, 3, 4. Please don’t leave anything blank or skip numbers. Thanks.

• Creatures of the Night (If this one wins, we will do another poll to pick a set of specific monsters from the GURPS, Creatures of the Night books—including the one for 3E) (3) Perhaps, since this is the Near Future, things that could count as "mutations" or magical alterations of natural beings and people.

• Dragons (presumably they have some means of hiding from/among humans, unless they are all asleep) (4) they could be shape shifters, able to assume human form. If we go with dragons, I vote that there not be a single type of dragon but a lot of types, possibly each one unique. Whether they reproduce naturally or are somehow created or spring from a single source, I dunno yet. It's still early here.

• Enchanted beasts (e.g. witches’ familiars, magically uplifted/”awakened “animals) (1) both types. Or rather, familiars are taken from the awakened animals, but not all awakened animals are familiars. Of course, they could just be (knowingly or not) faery creatures, which means if there's no clear winner, you could use this and one other.

• Other (please be specific. I this one wins, we will do one more poll with new entries based on your votes/comments) (2) I still vote for tulpas or some other type of created thoughtform.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #33
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Diplomancy would fit nicely with Witches, Warlocks, and Evil Sorcerers, as well as with faeries. Ultimately, they don’t strike me as a unique monster type so much as an unusual(?) field of magic; I could see writing it up as a Path or Book.
True, true.

I think Vicky's idea fits in with the existing categories.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #34
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
It wouldn't be a single mosntrobe from CotN, Vicky, It would be a set of monsters, specific ones. Six or maybe more seems doable.
In that case:

4: Creatures of the Night (~6 Types Please)

3: Other (Suggestion: Lovecraft-Style Ghouls)

2: Enchanted Beasts

1: Dragons
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Bigger is Better!

1 - Creatures of the night
2 - Enchanted Beasts
3 - Dragons (shapeshifting)
4 - Other (specifically humans/near humans with a very specialized powers. Like vampires or werewolves, only more creative)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #36
combatmedic
Banned

Yeah, I was thinking of about half a dozen monster species, if CotN wins. Maybe a few more. The creatures in those books run the gamut of monster types, so even a fairly small set adds to variety. Many of them fall into monster categories that got high numbers in the poll, but failed to make the cut--which is perfectly fine. As Vicky notes, just one CotN would be too restrictive. That's why I specified we would take a set. I think avoiding bloat matters. A dozen or more creature species from those books would be too broad, given that the ''six or more'' category option did not win, even before my votes.

Lovecraft ghouls....ooooohhhhh......
:)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #37
combatmedic
Banned

And, yes, if "Dragons' wins, that's a category win. More than one species is possible.
As Faolyn notes, it's still early.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #38
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Other Monster category, please rank 1-4.
That means: 1, 2, 3, 4. Please don’t leave anything blank or skip numbers. Thanks.
(1)• Creatures of the Night (If this one wins, we will do another poll to pick a set of specific monsters from the GURPS, Creatures of the Night books—including the one for 3E)

(4)• Dragons (presumably they have some means of hiding from/among humans, unless they are all asleep)

(3)• Enchanted beasts (e.g. witches’ familiars, magically uplifted/”awakened “animals)

(2)• Other (The weird monsters from mythology)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #39
nondescript handle

My vote:
1 - Creatures of the Night
4 - Dragons (shapeshifting ones)
3 - Enchanted beasts
2 - Other (some kind of dive beings, but preferably not Christian Angels/Demons)
nondescript handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #40
Faolyn

Quote:
Lovecraft ghouls....ooooohhhhh......
:)
I'll second that--or at least ghouls that gain memories via eating (and possibly can shapechange into someone they ate--I forget if that's a real Lovecraftian/mythical ghoul ability or if that's just from Supernatural). I'm not entirely sure we want them to always have the hooves and canine appearance that Lovecraft's did. I like that as a base form, however.