Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #101
tantric
Banned

Default Re: Vote up an Urban Fantasy Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
Actually I thought of the opposite: dragons can shapeshift into human form, but only with the Projected Form limitation. This would let them operate in mundane society while maintaining the 'masquerade' (this is a hidden weirdness setting after all), but having to guard, hide, and feed their big dragon bodies would still be a real liability.
That would be *really* hard to manage. I was thinking of humans who co-exist on the astral plane or whatever with a dragonform there, whereas fairies are purely creatures of that plane. If you have leylines or places of power, that gives a dragon lair kinda thing. Eastern dragons as personifications of rivers and mountains - hmm, can we make that work without it turning into a Werewolf the Granola Apocalypse thing? What if cities are landforms with their own genius loci ?
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #102
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Yep.

Creatures of the Night 32

Dragons 47

Enchanted beasts 36

Other 35

Dragons wins. My vote won't alter that, so I abstain.
Your vote might still matter. I had thought we were voting on which three monster categories would make it?

If you're abstaining, it looks as though Dragons would be first; with Enchanted Beasts and Other being distant second and third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my votes

NEW POLL: TECHNOLOGY

Please rate these options from 0-5 (Note I included zero). 0 means you don't want it, period. 5 is your first pick.

• TL 8 Retro trends, possibly some regression in what's commonly available 2
  • TL 8 baseline/like today with some new gadgets but no major changes 3
  • TL 8 with one area (computers, mechanical engineering, power generation, weapons, etc.) advanced a TL 4
  • TL 9 with no superscience but everything else from UT at that TL 1
  • TL 9 Cyberpunk Path (more advanced stuff in computers, VR, cyberware, holography, etc.) 0
  • other--Specify (if it wins, we do another poll on tech) 5

My "Other"
TL 9 (including some superscience) for the most part, but weapons (i.e. guns) and armor (i.e. body armor) still at TL 8. However, TL 9 technology for advanced forms of ammo, optics, and other such things which are accessories to a weapon are available; the base weapons (guns and such) themselves are still at TL 8 though. In the case of the TL 9 ammo, cost would be +50% over normal cost.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #103
samd6

5 other--Specify (if it wins, we do another poll on tech) Dragon-tech or some other kind of weird science
4TL 9 with no superscience but everything else from UT at that TL The future should feel like the future
3TL 8 with one area (computers, mechanical engineering, power generation, weapons, etc.) advanced a TL Feels less near-future and more modern
2TL 8 baseline/like today with some new gadgets but no major changes see above
1 TL 9 Cyberpunk Path (more advanced stuff in computers, VR, cyberware, holography, etc.)Get Shadowrun out of here
0 TL 8 Retro trends, possibly some regression in what's commonly avaiable What part of future is hard to understand?

Last edited by samd6; 03-17-2014 at 10:06 AM.
samd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #104
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
... dragons can shapeshift into human form, but only with the Projected Form limitation. This would let them operate in mundane society while maintaining the 'masquerade' (this is a hidden weirdness setting after all), but having to guard, hide, and feed their big dragon bodies would still be a real liability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
That would be *really* hard to manage.
Do you think? I like this idea! Since we're going with Dragons, and Dragons are big, scary, unsubtle things, this seems like a good way to make the whole thing do-able - without just making Dragons something else entirely.

For my part, I much prefer real, massive, physical dragons who sit in caves on mounds of treasure and inspire awe and terror through their sheer physical majesty.

To me, it's dodging the problem to have largely metaphorical "Dragons" who exist on the web, or the astral plane, or just hang out in certain people's auras, or something, instead of in the real world. Much more fun to have real, live, flesh and blood dragons, and then try to hide them.

Just my two cents. I defer to the voting, of course!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #105
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Your vote might still matter. I had thought we were voting on which three monster categories would make it?

If you're abstaining, it looks as though Dragons would be first; with Enchanted Beasts and Other being distant second and third.

No, it's which one out of that list counts for the "Other" on the earlier list.

Dragons joins the winning categories of fairies and witches.

note- I'm inclined to read those as broad groups. We may see plenty of variation within each category/family.

Future votes will decide the particulars.

Last edited by combatmedic; 03-15-2014 at 11:42 AM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #106
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
  • I'm not sure why the hard-sci-only TL9 is a predefined option, but unrestricted early TL9 isn't.
That's because weird science/super tech did not win on the power sources vote.

Last edited by combatmedic; 03-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #107
Langy

If I could I'd vote for Steampunk, maybe TL5+3 or something like that. That'd be awesome with dragons.

But since I can't...
  • 1 Points - TL 8 baseline/like today with some new gadgets but no major changes
  • 2 Points - TL 8 with one area (computers, mechanical engineering, power generation, weapons, etc.) advanced a TL
  • 3 Points - TL 9 with no superscience but everything else from UT at that TL
  • 4 Points - TL 9 Cyberpunk Path (more advanced stuff in computers, VR, cyberware, holography, etc.)
  • 5 Point - Other - STEAMPUNK!
  • 0 Points - TL 8 Retro trends, possibly some regression in what's commonly avaiable

Last edited by Langy; 03-15-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #108
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

EDIT: Vote changed and displayed in a later post

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 03-17-2014 at 08:31 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #109
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
If I could I'd vote for Steampunk, maybe TL5+3 or something like that. That'd be awesome with dragons.

But since I can't...
  • 1 Points - TL 8 baseline/like today with some new gadgets but no major changes
  • 2 Points - TL 8 with one area (computers, mechanical engineering, power generation, weapons, etc.) advanced a TL
  • 3 Points - TL 9 with no superscience but everything else from UT at that TL
  • 4 Points - TL 9 Cyberpunk Path (more advanced stuff in computers, VR, cyberware, holography, etc.)
  • 5 Point - Other - TL 9 with FTL superscience - using dragons to power the jump drives!
  • 0 Points - TL 8 Retro trends, possibly some regression in what's commonly avaiable
You can vote for steampunk with Other. The dragons might have a different tech level than humanity.

You might do it as Other:
mature TL 8 humans
5+3 dragons

That won't make the whole setting steampunk. The hidden dragon stuff would be steampunk.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #110
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
5 -TL 8 +1 advance. actually in the future!
3 -TL 8 - quite managable
3 -Other - I'd like more than one field
0- TL 9 unrestricted - bleh, any time the ultra tech book gets put in whole sale it makes a mess.
0 - Cyberbunk - No! urban fantasy is not cyberpunk. No! No!
I didn't make it 100% clear, but I'd strongly prefer if numbers weren't repeated.

Can you fix that, please?

Ditto for SamD6.