Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 AM   #1
scc

Default GURPS And Secondary Powers

Secondary powers are additional (super-)powers that a character possess as a result of possessing another power, the classic example, I believe, the Human Torch being able to breathe smoke because without that ability he wouldn't be able to breathe when he flames on.

Now normally in GURPS when this comes up you don't get the secondary power, even if it is required, that said I have found some cases where you do seem to get them in GURPS.

The first is the Human Torch cases, any one with an attack power that uses Aura doesn't get affected by said power.

The other two are related, people who have Invisible or Intangible can still see the world around them, even if using their Advantage should logically render them blind, and Intangible is the worse as people using it can still hear and breathe when they shouldn't be able to.

So can anyone else think of case where GURPS gives out secondary powers?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: GURPS And Secondary Powers

What you're describing is how GURPS does "powers."

A power has an overall theme (e.g., "fire power"), and abilities that correspond to that theme. Not everyone with the same power will have the same abilities.

So in the Human Torch's "fire power," there may an ability that is Immunity to Smoke (Common; Super, -10%) [14].
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Plane

"Breathe Smoke" would be clearer, unless Johnny can also see through smoke as well. I think "Ghost Air" enhancement for Insubstantiality was made for heroes who could still breath fine while lurking inside a solid wall. Is there a way to design Insubstantiality with a limitation where you are effectively holding your breath the entire time you're using it? Closest I can think of is Costs Fatigue.

I think you are only immune to your own Aura as long as it is instant damage since you remain in the center, if it's Area Effect + Persistant, I thought I remembered an example of being able to step into it and hurt yourself.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Refplace

Wildcard Powers is one way to handle secondary powers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The other two are related, people who have Invisible or Intangible can still see the world around them, even if using their Advantage should logically render them blind, and Intangible is the worse as people using it can still hear and breathe when they shouldn't be able to.
Intangible people breathing is less of a problem than intangible people walking. They need some power that keeps them from sinking through the floor or ground, and allows them to still have friction with the surface, as well.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 10-22-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Secondary powers are additional (super-)powers that a character possess as a result of possessing another power, the classic example, I believe, the Human Torch being able to breathe smoke because without that ability he wouldn't be able to breathe when he flames on.

Now normally in GURPS when this comes up you don't get the secondary power, even if it is required, that said I have found some cases where you do seem to get them in GURPS.

The first is the Human Torch cases, any one with an attack power that uses Aura doesn't get affected by said power.

So can anyone else think of case where GURPS gives out secondary powers?
Well...all of them. All of them hand out "personal immunity to direct downsides of your powers" along with the power. The invisible can still see, the intangible can still breathe, the vastly superstrong don't rip their arms off, the people who can run at 60 miles per hour still have feet afterward, the people with +20 hearing aren't killed by loud noises.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote