Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default COMMAND POSTS in OGRE...

As a Scenario special rule, I was thinking of having all units on the side that looses its CP loose their ability to Combine Fire.

The battlefield this occurs in has 30 Cruise Missile Craters within a map of 116 Hexes. All other hexes are Rubble or Town (not really Town, but represents terrain that has been damaged to that equivalent).

This battlefield would have a lot of background radiation, ect I would assume added to the devastated terrain makes for a battlefield that doesn't really get any worse. It's so bad in fact, only Infantry, Mobile Howitzers and Howitzers operate in it. Possibly bad enough to make such a Scenario specific rule plausible.

This gets into what CPs would be operationally in The Last War and how they affect units in the field.

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: COMMAND POSTS in OGRE...

Mobile howitzers are finicky delicate machines. With just M1, they are pretty much unsuited to operations on any broken terrain. If a MHWZ can move in that kind of environment, then by rights anything else should be able to move as well, especially something like a SHVY.

Why would the CP control combined fire at all, as that implies all the unit's comms go through that CP clearinghouse? Therefore, if a CP is destroyed, the remaining units would lose all cohesion, not just combined fire ability.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
Izzy_B

I see some logic here as the CP has been described in writing as the field commander's center of operations on the battlefield.

OTOH I assume that individual GEV pilots/tank drivers/etc certainly could radio each other (figure of speech) to coordinate attacks even w/o a field commander.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
offsides

IIRC, I've seen and SSR where loss of the CP results in a temporary (somewhere between 1 and 3 turns?) penalty (though I don't remember if it was no combined fire, or -1 die roll, or what) to represent the confusion caused by the loss of central command, and the time it takes to reestablish some semblance thereof by battlefield commanders. I don't see a problem with preventing combined fire temporarily, but withing a few turns whoever's left on the battlefield will sort out who's in charge and take over for the lost CP.

As to the terrain issues, if a MHWZ can get there, then ANY heavy tracked vehicle (except maybe a crawler, but that's easy to prohibit) should be able to do so, and I wouldn't want to even think about what it would take to bring in a HWZ that wasn't already in place before things got chewed up. I see no problem excluding GEVs via SSR, but other than being worried about getting stuck in swamp, Ogres and SHVYs have the best terrain mobility in the game, followed by HVY and MHWZ (although the latter are otherwise hampered by only having 1MP). If you really want to make it difficult terrain, only allow emplaced, immobile armor and INF...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Ashley

IMNSHO Command Post represent the highest level of command. Therefore their function is to coordinate the missions between each of the sub-commands.

So without the CP the infantry are going to have a hard time calling in artillery support that is coordinated with other elements.

So from a rule perspective, A unit of heavy tanks can combine fire, but not with the infantry at the same time as the artillery without the CP.

My two cents worth.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

There are plenty of scenarios that have no CP to begin with. There are no penalties in those scenario, so why should it matter if you have one or not to general tactics?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
There are plenty of scenarios that have no CP to begin with. There are no penalties in those scenario, so why should it matter if you have one or not to general tactics?
I do like the general idea of "thrown into disarray" as a scenario-specific gimmick, and a number of the official targets do have some sort of encouragement to use them as more than a differently-shaped CP / Strongpoint when dreaming up scenarios...so am wondering if a target structure made specifically for the purpose wouldn't work better, to eliminate confusion.

I know it had Jamscreens and Sensor Nets, but didn't Ogre Minis or one of them also have some sort of radar array?

Plop a Radar Array on the map, blow it up to cause some sort of 'disarray' status for 1 whole enemy turn [making it consistent with disabled by combat]. What that effect should be? Unless I have a shower thought, y'all are on your own for that one. But if I think of one, and it playtests well, Drew may get another Ogrezine Query out of it. ;)
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I know it had Jamscreens and Sensor Nets, but didn't Ogre Minis or one of them also have some sort of radar array?
Why, yes. Yes, it did. Sensor Nets and Command Control are both optional rules within Ogre Miniatures, Second Edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
But if I think of one, and it playtests well, Drew may get another Ogrezine Query out of it. ;)
Now you're just teasing me . . . !

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I don't think it's a lack of CP that causes issues, it's the loss of a CP that does. With no CP in the scenario, there's already some sort of decentralized command structure that can recover from individual losses rather easily. But with a CP directing things, it could take a turn or two for that decentralized structure to stabilize once it's lost. At least that's how I was thinking of it. But you certainly raise a good point that a lack of CP shouldn't impede things significantly.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Now you're just teasing me . . . !

D.
Now now, I wouldn't tease you like that...I'm threatening! ^_-

The problem, as I've found with others I've tried creating, is that pesky balancing act...but when I get any given scenario over that particular hump, either you or the forums will be the first to know...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote