Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
PK

Default GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers

I dispatched his guards
Before "Surrender, wench!" had
Even left his throat
— Dani Thawne, Woman on a mission
Who doesn't love a dashing hero? Mix together some swordplay, acrobatics, showing off, and a sexy smile, and you've got one of the most popular options in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: the swashbuckler. And GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers has everything you need to create the hero of your dreams, by gathering together all existing options and power-ups and then adding a whole lot more, such as:
  • Templates: In addition to the standard swashbuckler, try new 250-point options like the charismatic and strategic aristocrat, the ruthless and seafaring buccaneer, the deadly and fast duelist, or the tricky and sneaky rogue. All five include detailed customization notes and "henchman" options for use with GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen.

• Lenses: Be old 'n' bold for greater wisdom, philosophical to reflect esoteric training, portly to rely on strength and bulk instead of speed, staff-swinging if swordplay is too mainstream, or worldly to reflect a lifetime of experiences. Or use the detailed cross-training lenses to really branch out.

• Power-Ups: All of the swashbuckler-specific stuff from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups is here, along with tons of brand new ways to make your GM cry. In addition to basic power-ups for all five templates, enjoy perks covering everything from fighting to fashion, and then load up on more potent bennies such as boosting your crits, making attacks of opportunity, and slicing through magical defenses.

• Stuff: While many an interesting pub story starts with a swashbuckler being caught naked, no self-respecting delver would enter a fray unprepared! Learn about your clothing and armor options, and why a wig and mask can be more than just a fashion statement. Then choose a perfect blade, using new customization options (with advice) to build the ultimate weapon. Finally, grab or loot amazing new magical artifacts like the Astounding Swing-Line or Scabbard of the Smith.

• Advice: Finally, the book is sprinkled with useful advice on how to get the most out of your options. How do you survive when you prioritize speed over armor? What sort of weapon fits your fighting style? How can you best recover from crippling injuries? Consider this Swashbuckling 101.
It takes a certain bold personality to leap into a dungeon, sword-point first, and embodying that spirit is what GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers is all about!

(Addendum: If you missed out on the Dungeon Fantasy RPG Kickstarter, or know anyone who did, you can still pre-order it via Backerkit.)

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0341
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-0341_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 11-04-2016 at 03:48 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Colarmel

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers

Well. I'm now ready for the apocalypse. Great family, good job. Now, with this book, life is complete.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Sounds good, looking forward to.

Still no Thief book though? Shame, that's the one I'm really looking forward too.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Still no Thief book though? Shame, that's the one I'm really looking forward too.
Swashbucklers might need it more, I remember pulling the template apart once and there wasn't that much difference from the Knight.

Bit surprised we haven't got Bard yet but.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Rasputin

There's a buried gem that's under Swashbuckler-Innkeeper on page 19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers, page 19:
Any delver who has Comfortable or better Wealth and lacks
Social Stigma (Criminal Record) can spend $10,000+ in town
to open an inn.
Will there be any more such downtime options coming in the future? Opening a church, ruling a barony, perhaps?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You're not alone. I'm really wanting a Thief book as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Swashbucklers might need it more, I remember pulling the template apart once and there wasn't that much difference from the Knight.

I wouldn't say that they need it more since it looks like the majority of the book already comes from Pyramid articles as I thought it would. There's a few new bits such as fast-draw staff but nothing especially ground shattering.

Thieves, however, have been greatly ignored as far as my ground has been able to find. Not even given a spot among the other martial classes in Way of the Warrior.

All in all, I'd call this worth it even if you have those pyramids as they introduce a good couple advantages and power-ups that can be translated or built off of for other games.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

I'd be surprised if we got the Bard before DF in a box comes out, since they are getting a major rewrite.

Speaking of which, if there are any changes being made to the Swashbuckler in said box, is this book completely compatible?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Anders

This is not part of the "I Want It All" level, is it?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Will there be any more such downtime options coming in the future? Opening a church, ruling a barony, perhaps?
Who knows? It's possible.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
Dammann

I love Swashbucklers, and there is a lot of good stuff in this. The expanded power-ups and digest of attacks could really flesh out Swashbucklers in play, I think. I like the expanded weapon options, too. The extra templates are all from the Pyramid article, but the lenses are new and offer ways to distinguish characters further still. All that plus advice for Swashbucklers on a henchman budget makes this far more useful than Swords Against Evil alone. This supplement really does all you could want for Swashbucklers, and it is really cool!

That said, I want to join in with all those clamoring for a Dungeon Denizens aimed at Thieves. The Rogue from DD: Swashbucklers does offer a better fighting thief, but Thieves have always seemed like one of the weaker templates, along with Druids (which get much better when you play with Magic: Plant Spells) and (sort of) Martial Artists. I get that they are more niche templates than Knights, Clerics, and Wizards. But Thieves seem less capable as written in DF1. Maybe some more specialized templates and some lenses, as well as the sort of power-up and maneuver love that Swashbucklers get in this book could help us build better thieves.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy