Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #21
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: INFANTRY in OGRE...

Thanks for the help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
Totally depends on the map and the role. As defender on a GEV map, the current 3:1 ratio is perfect.

On the Ogre map, I'd go with a 9:2 ratio (3 full 3-squad platoons equal 2 armor units).
-Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Infantry are overpriced when you're in wide open areas such as the GEV map, which looks like the American midwest. If you're in an urban zone such as the East Coast of the USA or northern Europe you'd see infantry trouncing their own VP value in tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
The newest "Battle Box" Rules state three Armor Units -- so the equal to three HVY Tanks when buying units for a game. So that's 18 Victory Points.

In any game I played, I never allow INF to be traded for AU -- it makes it too easy to unbalance a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I would almost suggest not considering the orange map when looking at game balance, because it's so unlike anything else you can do with the game and that's going to skew the numbers. For example, in "smash the CP" play, the playing area is 40% smaller [529 legal hexes for a single green map, 322 for the orange map], which when combined with only 3 terrain types (clear, crater, and ridge hexside) and that skews the cost of the Ogre in single-cybertank scenarios upwards by 12% (Mk.III Attacking) to 20% (Mk.V Attacking).

But when it comes to scenario force spreads, I agree. AU / VP are points available to spend. Infantry are AU / VP that has already been spent. The player gets to choose what types of infantry, but the points have already been allocated to infantry by the scenario designer.
I think this all would make for a most excellent OGREzine Article.
__________________________________________________ _____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
I think the rules say a cruise missile is worth two AU, and the empty crawler worth a single AU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
This is correct. They also say you can't buy an empty crawler for your forces.
The rule I quoted was from the older 2016 DE Rules, they must have updated for clarity.
So, Cruise Missile Carrier with CM cost 3 AU and Cruise Missile Carrier without CM cost 1. Cruise Missile cost 2 AU.

I'll assume a Off-Board CM cost 3 AU.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #22
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
I think the rules say a cruise missile is worth two AU, and the empty crawler worth a single AU.
As Desert Scribe and ColBosch pointed out, the above is correct.

So, unless a specific scenario rule states otherwise, an off-board CM is worth 2 armor units, or 12 VP. Which means, (assuming the scenario allows swapping), a player can get 6 squads of infantry for an off-board CM or 9 squads for a loaded CM carrier.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #23
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I think this all would make for a most excellent OGREzine Article.
Care to write it up?

<grin>

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #24
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
As Desert Scribe and ColBosch pointed out, the above is correct.

So, unless a specific scenario rule states otherwise, an off-board CM is worth 2 armor units, or 12 VP. Which means, (assuming the scenario allows swapping), a player can get 6 squads of infantry for an off-board CM or 9 squads for a loaded CM carrier.
D.
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Care to write it up?

<grin>

D.
...heh...This is about as far as I can run with it. Would require far more capable and knowledgeable people to write up and make happen.

I'm thinking it would be very much like what TheAmishStig mentions about using how many hexes the map has/ the terrain types of the map/ how many of each terrain hex/ units used, ect to then generate some sort of reference chart that could be used to figure Scenario points, ect for everything involved.

A daunting task for sure, but I know it could be done if the right people were crafting this.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 09-12-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I'll assume a Off-Board CM cost 3 AU.
Nope, 2AU. The same cost as an on-board CM, as the crawler itself is the 3rd AU for a CM/crawler combo. Basically, firing a CM from a crawler costs 12VP, the same as firing an off-board CM, and then the crawler itself is worth the remaining 6VP if destroyed. The advantage to fining from a crawler is that they're harder to intercept at short ranges (<20 hexes) vs off-board missiles.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote