Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
Parody

Default Re: Rocket Boosters

Well, barring other information, we'll just continue to disagree like we do on a bunch of other things. Sounds like Car Wars to me. :)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #12
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Well, barring other information, we'll just continue to disagree like we do on a bunch of other things. Sounds like Car Wars to me. :)
Fair enough :)

We have at least explored the evidence base and set out our reasoning so people can choose their own interpretation, so it hasn't been a waste of time.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:24 AM   #13
kabson

It's a mild tangent, but I have a Rocket Booster question, and so while this thread is still fresh...

I'm sure this was in a Q&A somewhere, but what's the max boost for a vehicle without chassis options (i.e. Cycle, Boat)?

This has been bugging me for a while, and my search skills have completely failed me. :-/
Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabson View Post
It's a mild tangent, but I have a Rocket Booster question, and so while this thread is still fresh...

I'm sure this was in a Q&A somewhere, but what's the max boost for a vehicle without chassis options (i.e. Cycle, Boat)?

This has been bugging me for a while, and my search skills have completely failed me. :-/
My assumption is that it would be the same as a vehicle with a standard chassis (which is what a vehicle with no chassis modifier has). Or 20 mph with no risk of chassis damage, and able to go 10 mph over that if you are willing to risk chassis damage.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #15
kabson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
My assumption is that it would be the same as a vehicle with a standard chassis (which is what a vehicle with no chassis modifier has). Or 20 mph with no risk of chassis damage, and able to go 10 mph over that if you are willing to risk chassis damage.
That makes sense and I'd be happy to work with that, but my other thought was that maybe they have no chassis options because they're already built at max strength?

Was there ever an official proclamation? I've not managed to find one.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #16
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabson View Post
That makes sense and I'd be happy to work with that, but my other thought was that maybe they have no chassis options because they're already built at max strength?

Was there ever an official proclamation? I've not managed to find one.
The closest I've found thus far is an ADQ&A indicating that a cycle's frame is it's chassis.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:39 AM   #17
kabson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The closest I've found thus far is an ADQ&A indicating that a cycle's frame is it's chassis.
Thanks, but sadly, that doesn't really help much. I'll keep my eyes open, but until I find something it seems to be one of the many Car Wars mysteries. I'll stick to 'Standard' should it ever come up (I had a rocket bike half built in the combat garage).
Old 08-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
Parody

By RAW, I would say that you can't put Rocket Boosters/Jump Jets on any vehicle without a Chassis modifier as you can't figure out the maximums.

As a reasonable interpretation, letting folks in your games use the numbers for Standard Chassis for any ground wheeled vehicle type that doesn't use the Chassis modifiers seems fair.

More uncommon vehicles get into more questions and I don't have a lot of experience with all of their Car Wars forms or their real-life counterparts, so I'll just throw out some food for thought:

Would Hovercraft reasonably be able to point Rocket Boosters in the four main directions and just throw the acceleration into their normal math functions?

Would tracked vehicles just slide a bit and not actually speed up, making Rocket Boosters useless?

Are Airships just too darn big?

Last edited by Parody; 08-02-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote