Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I've been looking to do a programming project just to sharpen my skills and, honestly, once you have the engine for this finished all of the other similar tables (like from DF8 or the Cyberpunk Pyramid issue) fall into place.

The trouble is I'd probably use C# which has limited utility outside of Windows. I know Mono is supported cross-platform but I'd probably use a Windows Form which, once again, has limited utility outside of Windows.
It'd need to be Excel. I doubt I could get a single platform app to get bundled. And you couldn't really publish such a thing because you'd have to put all the info from the article in there and then there would be no point to buying the PDF in the first place.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I've been looking to do a programming project just to sharpen my skills and, honestly, once you have the engine for this finished all of the other similar tables (like from DF8 or the Cyberpunk Pyramid issue) fall into place.

The trouble is I'd probably use C# which has limited utility outside of Windows. I know Mono is supported cross-platform but I'd probably use a Windows Form which, once again, has limited utility outside of Windows.
I've got a table roller that takes XML tables and can even be directed to roll again on another table and so forth. It doesn't sum things up, it just notes everything. It's in perl, which has environments on many many platforms.

The downside is that it uses obsolete libraries you can't get any more, is written sort of sloppily, and is not user friendly. :/
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 AM   #33
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Weapons and armor of pure magic were a neat idea too. Given how dependent mystic knights are of their weapons and armor, giving them a last ditch option is something I felt they needed. Also, together with the soul imbuements, they show how to use powers to simulate enchanted gear.
I'm having a little trouble understanding some of the design decisions for these. The Mystic Knight's Imbue comes with the Magical limitation, meaning you spend [9], [18], or [36] for levels 1,2, or 3. Yet the Maul and Axe both cost [19], Armor level 1 costs [10] and level 2 costs [20], and the cost for Weapon and Shield (in any combination) comes to [37]. All of these are too expensive to be Alternatives to Imbue without switching Imbue itself to be an alternate, but this would require more points than is listed for the purchase cost.

The other thing is the Halberd. The purchase cost indicates that the crushing and cutting attacks are separate Alternatives. Doesn't this mean that you can't use both the crushing and cutting attack in the same turn? Most pole-arms aren't that restrictive.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #34
Balor Patch

Here's the funniest line in the issue:

"Falling distances of greater than 50 yards are not recommended as they can lead to real harm for adventurers."

Maybe if we leave off the spikes and acid it would be OK? Maybe?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Here's the funniest line in the issue:

"Falling distances of greater than 50 yards are not recommended as they can lead to real harm for adventurers."

Maybe if we leave off the spikes and acid it would be OK? Maybe?
It's no fun to break your back in a pit. ;-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #36
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
I'm having a little trouble understanding some of the design decisions for these. The Mystic Knight's Imbue comes with the Magical limitation, meaning you spend [9], [18], or [36] for levels 1,2, or 3. Yet the Maul and Axe both cost [19], Armor level 1 costs [10] and level 2 costs [20], and the cost for Weapon and Shield (in any combination) comes to [37]. All of these are too expensive to be Alternatives to Imbue without switching Imbue itself to be an alternate, but this would require more points than is listed for the purchase cost.

The other thing is the Halberd. The purchase cost indicates that the crushing and cutting attacks are separate Alternatives. Doesn't this mean that you can't use both the crushing and cutting attack in the same turn? Most pole-arms aren't that restrictive.
Rise, thread, rise!

Well, sorry for not replying earlier, but I was emailing the powers that be, trying to get this sorted ASAP. Long story short, it was a series of unfortunate misunderstandings, mainly mine, mostly on how to calculate the cost of fixed point innate attacks [1], and how you round[2]. There was also a misunderstanding on the cost of the attack taking up hands. The revised version should be out now.

On Halberd of Pure Magic, you can combine cut and imp on the same turn. I would allow switching to crushing freely too, IMHO, it's worth less than a perk.

Armor of pure magic had some significant changes though, and I will take the full blame for it.

[1] I was using 0.25 dice for the first point and then adding 0.3 dice per additional dice. The right way is to build it as Xd±Y, and then convert to dice (e.g. 2 points⇒1d-2, 3 points⇒1d-1, 4 points⇒1d, 5 points⇒1d+1, 6 points⇒1d+2, 7 points⇒2d, 8 points⇒2d+1)
[2] I was using the rules in Psionic Powers for TK bullet, that round only at the end. The actual rules make you calculate the cost of the unmodified innate attack, then round up, then apply the modifiers, and then round up. I use those rules in my games, and had forgotten they are not raw, and only used for TK Bullet because it's a leveled advantage and doing so smooths out the cost, that would jump up and down unpredictably otherwise
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 11-14-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #37
PK

Quote:
Well, sorry for not replying earlier, but I was emailing the powers that be, trying to get this sorted ASAP.
For the record, it's all sorted now, and everyone who bought the issue (or had a subscription) should have recently received an email informing them that this issue had been updated. Specifically, the statistics of all of the "___ of Pure Magic" have been updated slightly.

Quote:
On Halberd of Pure Magic, you can combine cut and imp on the same turn. I would allow switching to crushing freely too, IMHO, it's worth less than a perk.
I have to agree. In this one specific case, call it a special effect. The alternative would be to come up with a "crushing version" of the Thrusting Blade enhancement, but that's too much work for one specific edge case. Please trust that the amount you're paying for the Halberd (7 points with the AA discount!) justifies this modest benefit.

Quote:
Armor of pure magic had some significant changes though, and I will take the full blame for it.
Eh, I'll take at least a third of it. I'm the guy whose job it is to make sure that Pyramid articles stay within the RAW.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #38
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I have to agree. In this one specific case, call it a special effect. The alternative would be to come up with a "crushing version" of the Thrusting Blade enhancement, but that's too much work for one specific edge case. Please trust that the amount you're paying for the Halberd (7 points with the AA discount!) justifies this modest benefit.
In fact, a thrusting blade equivalent enhancement would have probably ended up costing less than the alternate attack route.

Personally, I created the Weapons of Pure Magic because I like the visuals, not because they are actually a good option most of the time. Mystic Knights lose access to much more than just the points spent in the Imbue advantage, they also lose the points invested in Imbuement Skills. It's an emergency option, something for when they are disarmed or they could not bring in the weapons.
Quote:
Eh, I'll take at least a third of it. I'm the guy whose job it is to make sure that Pyramid articles stay within the RAW.
It still shames me. I should have not let it happen.

As a sidenote, too bad that your Mighty Blow imbuement Skill didn't make it in the issue. It's still a good skill, and I hope you manage to put it in print at some point of the future.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
PK

Quote:
In fact, a thrusting blade equivalent enhancement would have probably ended up costing less than the alternate attack route.
Exactly, which is why in this one specific case, I fully endorse the implied feature: "Can use crushing attacks on the same turn as cutting/impaling, if applicable." The knight is already paying a premium due to the way this had to be built, so he deserves to get full use out of it.

Quote:
Personally, I created the Weapons of Pure Magic because I like the visuals, not because they are actually a good option most of the time.
I think that was fairly clear. The loss of Imbue (or any "Soul" power-up) is a big deal! I think most knights who get this will just pay the 2 points for a simple backup weapon unless he's exclusively a heavy weapons fighter. The DR is going to be more rarely needed, I'd imagine, but will be a lifesaver if kidnapped, woken in bed, etc.

Quote:
As a sidenote, too bad that your Mighty Blow imbuement Skill didn't make it in the issue. It's still a good skill, and I hope you manage to put it in print at some point of the future.
I mentioned it to Steven, but the Odds and Ends were quite full already. It's a good idea, though, so it's in the bin of "stuff you can draw from to flesh out your Odds and Ends in the future." :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #40
Steven Marsh

For what it's worth, to me the errata we implemented for this issue shows the system is working. There's no way we can ever promise to be perfect, but in the past year or so we've made significant inroads into getting stuff patched and released much quicker than before. That's all a win in my book; years from now, this issue will still be awesome, and no one will remember it needed some tweaks for a couple of weeks.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/60, pyramid issues