Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
Samhain2057

Default Lots of questions

Hello AIs, Loyals soldiers, Mercs, and anything in between! My name is Jim and I first played Ogre back in 2000 when I bought the Ogre/GEV "VHS" box. I played it a bit when I was an undergrad and I was struck by the sheer number of options to play the game! Much to my delight I was given Ogre 6th Edition as a gift a few years ago and I finally got around to opening it. In the meantime I did order more than a few sheets etc... to complete my army! I just have a few questions if anyone can help me out:

Some of my 3D counters are a bit loose- can anyone recommend me a glue that would work well?

Are the MK II, MK VI, or Doppelsoldner available outside of the ODE or Miniatures 2nd ed book? I have a MK II from the Japanese faction sheet I ordered... but I want a 3D one!!!!

I have GURPS Ogre but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to get info on:

The Anarchist Relief Front: Where do they fit into the game world? Are the only in Europe?

Sons of Nassau: I have seen them referred to as Sons of Old Nassau, but it says "Sons of Nassau" on one of my sheets. Any info on them? From what I gather they are a merc outfit, but they seem linked to Vatican forces... so are they more of a PMC then a merc outfit?

What is the "Marauder" faction? I have a MK. III Ogre from them....

Thanks for any info!
Samhain2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
sparky00

Default Re: Lots of questions

For loose 3D counters- I use a small drop of Arlenes Tacky Glue, applied with a toothpick.

Only a tiny amount is needed. I usually put it on an underside seam, so it can be cut loose if need be.

Tacky Glue is available at any craft store & Walmart.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
Samhain2057

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
For loose 3D counters- I use a small drop of Arlenes Tacky Glue, applied with a toothpick.

Only a tiny amount is needed. I usually put it on an underside seam, so it can be cut loose if need be.

Tacky Glue is available at any craft store & Walmart.
Fantastic! Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
offsides

I used Elmer's with a toothpick and had no issues. I think you just need to use any decent glue that's good for paper/cardboard (i.e., not superglue, epoxy, or anything fancy :))

Sons of Old Nassau come from the "Barbarians at the Gate" counter sheets. ARF has been around for a long time, I was first exposed to them in my old Car Wars days, I think from one of the AADA Road Atlases. But I honestly don't know where the real background comes from.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Samhain2057

Hi,

Thanks for the info!!! I have that sheet on order and I got a few SOoN from my Battlefields order and my Uncommon Ogres, but I was looking more for their place in the world!
Old 01-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I used Elmer's with a toothpick and had no issues. I think you just need to use any decent glue that's good for paper/cardboard (i.e., not superglue, epoxy, or anything fancy :))

Sons of Old Nassau come from the "Barbarians at the Gate" counter sheets. ARF has been around for a long time, I was first exposed to them in my old Car Wars days, I think from one of the AADA Road Atlases. But I honestly don't know where the real background comes from.
The ARF is also in the Barbarians at the Gate scenario and explained there. Also check out the info in the new Ogre Miniatures ruleset.

You might also consider using a Black Marker tio color the edged of the 3D counters. Looks sharp!
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
Samhain2057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
The ARF is also in the Barbarians at the Gate scenario and explained there. Also check out the info in the new Ogre Miniatures ruleset.

You might also consider using a Black Marker tio color the edged of the 3D counters. Looks sharp!
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I placed an order for those sheets! I wanted to buy the miniatures book for the counter sheets, but I could not justify that to myself.... now I know there is fiction in there I will buy it! Thanks for being a bad influence!
Old 01-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
Mack_JB

I sorta thought Drew (Line Editor for Ogre) would have jumped in by now, but "Sons of Old Nassau" is his baby. He's a Princeton grad, and Nassau Hall is the main campus building there. Male alumni were said to be SoON (at least they were before women were being graduated - what's the name now?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Nassau

So it's Drew's nod to his Alma Mater. Which, BTW, the orange and black tiger stripes color scheme is another clue.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
Samhain2057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I sorta thought Drew (Line Editor for Ogre) would have jumped in by now, but "Sons of Old Nassau" is his baby. He's a Princeton grad, and Nassau Hall is the main campus building there. Male alumni were said to be SoON (at least they were before women were being graduated - what's the name now?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Nassau

So it's Drew's nod to his Alma Mater. Which, BTW, the orange and black tiger stripes color scheme is another clue.
Ah very cool. Okay, so they don't have an in-game story?!?!?
Old 01-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain2057 View Post
Ah very cool. Okay, so they don't have an in-game story?!?!?
The unit's history is covered in the Barbarians at the Gate book...they're a UK-based mercenary unit, if memory serves, with some of the most elite infantry in the world of Ogre (the White Tigers)...and ARF was founded by PanEuro deserters.

If you're all about factions...be sure to snag a Nightfall set too. Rogue AIs doing as sci-fi rogue AIs are wont to do, and deciding that humanity's problem is humanity itself. There's currently no fluff/story or scenario book for them because the sponsor for those sheets had to step away from it, but last we knew Drew was working on finishing it!

There's also the wonderful Nihon Empire counters which brings Japan, its variant Ogres, and a little bit of fluff to the game...though the scenarios are hosted separately, one here on the SJG site and one on the creator's personal site.

Oh, and Battlefields is a can't miss if you're addicted to counters. It's something like a 12lb box...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote