Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
BaHalus

Default Buffalo template

There is a buffalo template anywhere (official or fan made)?
If not, which suggestions do you make for a buffalo template?

I am elaborating a tribe of buffalo riders. Somewhat inspired by those:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jFW7evxS3b...cQ/s1600/2.png

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/...8_img_2762.jpg

http://marajoonline.com.br/wp-conten.../montalogo.jpg
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Dammann

Default Re: Buffalo template

I like Luke's animals. Bison are 6th from the top.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Humabout

I second Luke's work. I've been slowly compiling a collection of these in DF format for the fauna in my setting.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
BaHalus

Thanks, though I am not looking for the Bison, but the Water Buffalo, the swamp type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo

(I don't know if there would be any differences between river and swamp types, at least in GURPS resolution, but this one in Luke's site is already very good, and I think I will use it.)
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
There is a buffalo template anywhere (official or fan made)?
If not, which suggestions do you make for a buffalo template?

I have one right here. EDIT: Ah, water buffalo. Honestly, they should have about the same stats as bison - they're not significantly different, at least in game terms. Note that the strengths I gave creatures were to make them 'heroic'/compare favorably to high-ST people, rather than be strictly accurate to the 'cube-root weight multiply by 2' method. EIther that, or I took them from GURPS supplements and made them correct relative to one another - not entirely sure.

Also, Luke's animals include water buffalo.

Last edited by Langy; 06-09-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
BaHalus

I was looking in Luke's buffalos. The bison has 400 kg, but the water buffalo is 1.000 kg which is far beyond the mass of an adult buffalo that I found in my researches where I found values of 415 kg more or less 23 kg for the swamp buffalo (Bubalus bubalis kerebau). Maybe a wild swamp buffalo could weight more (than a captive buffalo created to produce meat? I don't know if that would make much sense), but I don't think it would weight twice as much.

Do You think that, maybe, he made a mistake and used the value in pounds instead of kilograms in this specific beast?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Langy

Quote:
I was looking in Luke's buffalos. The bison has 400 kg, but the water buffalo is 1.000 kg which is far beyond the mass of an adult buffalo that I found in my researches where I found values of 415 kg more or less 23 kg for the swamp buffalo (Bubalus bubalis kerebau). Maybe a wild swamp buffalo could weight more (than a captive buffalo created to produce meat? I don't know if that would make much sense), but I don't think it would weight twice as much.

Do You think that, maybe, he made a mistake and used the value in pounds instead of kilograms in this specific beast?
The mass of the male bison on Luke's page is also 1000 kg, JSYK. It's the female that's 400.

I'm not sure where you got your research, but the first result for 'weight of water buffalo' on Google (the Wikipedia article) gave me a weight of 700-1200 kg.

Domestic water buffalo are generally lighter, but that figure's correct for ones in the wild.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
chandley

My own poor attempts can also be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/chandl...rps/gurps-tmnt
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The mass of the male bison on Luke's page is also 1000 kg, JSYK. It's the female that's 400.

I'm not sure where you got your research, but the first result for 'weight of water buffalo' on Google (the Wikipedia article) gave me a weight of 700-1200 kg.

Domestic water buffalo are generally lighter, but that figure's correct for ones in the wild.
Luke's sight is good, but you need to watch a the fiddly options: they make a difference. And you can just put in the weight you want for the animal. I've done that before when he didn't have what I wanted, or even when I had a different animal I wanted benchmarks for.

and the comment about 'heroic' water buffalo is valid. know what your stat range for the campaign looks like and what realism level you're using.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
BaHalus

I took the values from this presentation:
http://www.fmvz.unesp.br/bufalos/HPB...o/02-RACAS.pdf
As it is from An university Doctor I imagine it tends to be accurate.

Maybe they keep growing up after they reach this 2 year-old age and could reach double this size? I don't know.

The idea is adapting the idea of Marajó's Buffalo ridersfor a fantasy setting. (Both civilians, police and armymen ride buffalos there. I believe they even have more street buffalos than street dogs there. Many Buffalos just walk free in the streets there. They tend to be very calm beasts that everybody is used to). I am even thinking about introducing them in Yrth, putting a big Swamp filled with buffalo rider barbarian somewhere in the map, so I could introduce them in the game I have in course.

I probably won't go for harsh realism when I use it, but I would like to use values close to reality. I think I will analyse the three templates and keep o research to confirm the real medium weight of an adult swamp buffalo. Though, as it will be a fantasy setting, I could go with a buffalo that is bigger than the real ones.

Tags
bestiary, buffalo, rider, template, tribe