Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #51
Blue Ghost

Default Re: CW as a roleplaying game?

Car Wars, as an RPG, fortunately deals with a more "conventional" environment of a dystopic future, and not mythology or folklore. As per my response to the OP, you can PM me for a detailed account of what I went through.

To repeat (or reiterate), when I used to do CW back in the day, and heck even with Magesmiley's tournament at … I think it was Kublacon a few months back, again to me, it feels like the arena battles are the highlights of an RP session, and in that vein there's more story "down the road" (pun intended).

I was reading through the RP rules in the deluxe edition rules, and I don't think the lack of stats, or the "3 HPs and your dead" thing are holding CW's RP aspect back. I just think that most people think of the game as just a table top warsim. Maybe if a new ADQ or some other periodical comes out, then CW RP stuff can go in there for players read and exploit.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, even though Autoventures were published by TFG when they were still around, I still think stuff like Ultra Force or Turbofire offered templates of how RPing could work in the basic game. And work without extraneous stuff like lots of stats defining the physical character, but to just keep it CW oriented.

Just me.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #52
owenmp

This thread was focused on using the Car Wars rules for roleplaying. If you want to have more detail than Car Wars, but less complexity than GURPS, there might be another option.

Francis Greenaway's Painted Target Web site for Car Wars was removed from the Internet over 10 years ago, however his Web site for Dark Future, Future Highways, is still online.

The Highwayman rules Francis wrote for the out of print sourcebook d20 Redline by Fantasy Flight Games could be modified for Car Wars roleplaying.

Future Highways: The Online Magazine for Highway Warriors of the Dark Future
http://futurehighways.roll2dice.com

RPG Geek - d20 Redline
http://www.rpggeek.com/rpgitem/58964
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #53
syncrogt1

I've appreciated everyone's comments, not that they need to stop, and now this thread is a reference for future visitors should they have the same question.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #54
Blue Ghost

I'd post more, but it would just be reflections on past gaming sessions and what it all means.

That, and there just isn't a whole lot of RP stuff available for CW to comment on. Pedestrians are like Ogre infantry; interesting, but there isn't a great deal of material for them at present.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #55
Luke Bunyip

One of my players suggested for my AtE GURPS campaign (set in South Australia), that I check out the relevant AADA road atlas...

From pg26 of " The AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guide Vol #4: : AUSTRALIA"
Quote:
".... Coober Pedy is Aboriginal for "white fellow's hole in the ground.""
Thoroughly amused.