Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
c0matose

Default Fairy Tail Dragon Force

I watched episode 67 (i think) of fairy tail recently and I thought about making a dragonslayer build in GURPS. I first thought that a dragonslayer, when they take fire (or whatever their element is) damage, instead regains that damage as FP and HP. My idea of Dragon Force (where the caster takes on the physical properties of a dragon) was that they could only cast in when the GM considers it appropriate, i.e when you're losing against a boss. FP costs double, all spells count 1 round of charge as the maximum bonus from taking rounds to charge up, damage is tripled, and you dont expend FP during the fight, but instead lose it all in one big chunk afterwards. Anyone who's watched the show got any suggestions/improvements?
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Leynok

Default Re: Fairy Tail Dragon Force

I think I've seen some suggestions on Dragon Slayer magic somewhere on the boards before, might be worth doing some searches.
From what I remember the suggestion was closer to having DR that matches their element, along with Regeneration (FP, Only while eating X element). Which seems to be more accurate, since I don't recall them ever healing physical damage.
For your idea of Dragon Force, Alternate Form with Emergencies Only seems appropriate, although from what I recall, there is always a trigger outside of a dire situation. Eating that blue magic crystal, or the golden flames, along with a dire situation has caused Dragon Force, but other emergencies without such a trigger has always resulted in them having to deal without it.
I don't know any fair price for making all spells cost double and reducing their cast time to 1, and I doubt you will ever really find a fair price for that.
I would honestly forget spells altogether when building a Dragon Slayer, make them all powers with a magic source. Fairy Tail magic, and especially Dragon Slayers seem to have magic as more a part of them than a spell they learned. Even the two ice molders you see in the series produce very different effects with the same "spell".
For a fire example, this would mean burning innate attacks (probably several, all with different powers, FP costs and other details to them, also as alternate abilities to save on the cost) to represent the different dragon style attacks. Perhaps giving them a half priced accessibility, so they are half power normally, but full power in Dragon Force mode.
Lastly it's worth noting that you should remember to give them Enhanced Smell, Discriminatory Smell and potentially Motion Sickness. These are things that all Dragon Slayers are said to have (though some get the motion sickness later than others). They should also get an Unusual Background, how much that costs is up to the GM naturally.

-Hope this helps some.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
zoncxs

Default Re: Fairy Tail Dragon Force

I have built Dragon slayer magic using imbuements. It allows for the most flexibility when it comes to adding powers. just make sure to use combination imbuements as well. each power is the same thing only used a little different.

Fire Dragon Iron Fist and Fire Dragon Claws are just punches and kicks. Brillant Flame would and Shockwave. etc.

Fire dragon slayer magic, for example:

advantages:
DR (Heat/fire only)
Universal Digestion (matter eater, fire only)
imbue (unarmed only, fire only)

imbuement skills:
Reinforced Incendiary
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fairy tail