Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Curmudgeon

Default Re: [3rd edition] Power stones.

GURPS$ were originally denominated as equal to 1985 U.S. dollars , if I recall correctly. Checking on DollarTracker a GURPS $ would be equivalent to $2.23 US today.

Powerstone says that the usual jewel used is an opal. Opal prices vary widely depending on such things as body tone (base color), band size, pattern, and faults to name just a few factors. Those qualities will make more difference in the price than the size of the stone in carats will. For example, checking online a black crystal opal of slightly less than 1 carat size (0.97 carats) is selling for $1,300 (Australian), a 1 carat [ct.] medium dark orangey fire opal is going for $107.92 (US). However, the fire opal scales as $107.92 (1 ct.); $114.66 (3 ct.); $121.41 (5 ct.); $138.26 (10 ct.) and $205.67 (30 ct.).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Powerstones are mana batteries for mages.
I don't think the term "battery" is appropriate. Usually in RPG parlance, a "mana battery" item is something that the wielder can both put mana into and take mana out of, and unless I'm misremembering, you can't put FP into a Powerstone; instead, you must rely on its natural recharge rate.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I don't think the term "battery" is appropriate. Usually in RPG parlance, a "mana battery" item is something that the wielder can both put mana into and take mana out of, and unless I'm misremembering, you can't put FP into a Powerstone; instead, you must rely on its natural recharge rate.
There is a spell, Charge Powerstone, that can fill a powerstone with energy ultimately from the caster.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themoopanator View Post
Cool. Now that its all wrapped up, how much should I charge for a gem?
The sidebar on p153 of the 3e Basic Set gives a formula for that: a P carat stone costs ($10 x P x P) + ($40 x P). For a 10 carat stone, that's $1400.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, mages, magic, powerstones