Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default Duplication, but lesser copies?

And no, I don't mean Shared Resources. I'm looking at a way to create dupes that are weaker than the main, lower ST, IQ, lesser powers, etc.

Should this just be some variant of Puppet?

What if it were an AI character capable of creating lesser copies of itself to run on other machines (Digital Mind + Duplication (Digital) + Puppet + Possession (Digital))?

Am I over thinking it and it's just Duplication, with some Limitation making the dupes not as capable? (honestly, that's what I'm aiming for, everything else just seems overly complicated and extra costly for no 'good' reason).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Duplication, but lesser copies?

Would temporary disadvantage fit?

There are other custom ways to do it, but that requires GM buy in. Like scaling Dupes as Allies, with 100% allies being the base cost for dupes.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
Harald387

Ally, summonable, at a fraction of the pc's point cost? Probably with Minion as well.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There are other custom ways to do it, but that requires GM buy in. Like scaling Dupes as Allies, with 100% allies being the base cost for dupes.
I'm bouncing the idea down the hall here before I drag it into your Jakarta game...

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Ally, summonable, at a fraction of the pc's point cost? Probably with Minion as well.
That's what I keep coming back to.

It might end up being Puppets with Digital Possession (Puppets only). But neither fully accounts for the action economy which is what I'm leery of.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Anthony

Temporary disadvantage would make all duplicates, including the original, weaker, but are otherwise legal. TD (duplicates only) seems fair.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

I'd use Temporary Disadvantage, but reduce the value of the limitation depending on which percentage of the duplicates it applied to: 3/4s normal (or just subtract 5% if that would be more) if it applies to 75% or more of the dupes, 1/2 normal if it applies to 75%-50% of the dupes, 1/3 normal for 25% to 50% of the dupes, and 1/4 normal for fewer than that.

So, for example, if you had Duplication 4 (and thus there were 5 of you), and you had ST -5, Basic Speed -3.00, and DX -2 apply to all the dupes, but not yourself, that would be Temporary Disadvantage, ST-5, -37%; Temporary Disadvantage, Basic Speed -3.00, -45%; Temporary Disadvantage, DX -2, -30%. So you'd have some enhancements to play with, for sure.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And no, I don't mean Shared Resources. I'm looking at a way to create dupes that are weaker than the main, lower ST, IQ, lesser powers, etc.

Should this just be some variant of Puppet?

What if it were an AI character capable of creating lesser copies of itself to run on other machines (Digital Mind + Duplication (Digital) + Puppet + Possession (Digital))?

Am I over thinking it and it's just Duplication, with some Limitation making the dupes not as capable? (honestly, that's what I'm aiming for, everything else just seems overly complicated and extra costly for no 'good' reason).
If they are "spawn" that you can control remotely, it sound like an ally puppet group.

If they are copies under PC control, duplication is better.

If they are just multiple actions, Compartmentalized Mind works.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'd use Temporary Disadvantage, but reduce the value of the limitation depending on which percentage of the duplicates it applied to: 3/4s normal (or just subtract 5% if that would be more) if it applies to 75% or more of the dupes, 1/2 normal if it applies to 75%-50% of the dupes, 1/3 normal for 25% to 50% of the dupes, and 1/4 normal for fewer than that.

So, for example, if you had Duplication 4 (and thus there were 5 of you), and you had ST -5, Basic Speed -3.00, and DX -2 apply to all the dupes, but not yourself, that would be Temporary Disadvantage, ST-5, -37%; Temporary Disadvantage, Basic Speed -3.00, -45%; Temporary Disadvantage, DX -2, -30%. So you'd have some enhancements to play with, for sure.
That sounds like a workable solution.

The premise is an AI/Ghost that can 'spawn' off avatars (dupes) that aren't running at full capacity due to being run on different (lesser) hardware and not having real-time access to the main PC's extensive libraries and programming (so lowered IQ, DX, and skills).

I'm gonna mull this over and talk with the GM (ericthered) about it. I'm beginning to think just running the 'dupes' as equipment (volitional AIs controlling drones) and having the PC running 'oversight' on them ala 'Shadowrun style non-immersed rigging'.

But this convo has at least answered my questions (and if anyone has another way to do it, chime in!).
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Pursuivant

As oddball alternatives, depending on the nature of the campaign, possibly:

Modular Abilities (Chip Slots) if you can run several instances of a computer program which allow multiple avatars to manifest at once. Buy each copy of the program as equipment, possibly with extra Wealth.

Magery, etc. plus the Create Warrior spell. "Magic" is hand-waved as some sort of cybernetic/holographic VR technology, possibly giving a limitation to Magery. ("Only in Cyberspace")

It's just equipment. Buy it using extra Wealth.

It's equipment your Patron provides. Buy Patron.

Alternate versions of yourself from different dimensions, cloning, etc. Buy ordinary Allies.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote