Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Hrothgar

Default Needing GM advice for Improvising

I did a bit of searching, but I found that not a lot of people give advice on one of the most important skills a GM can have: Improvising. I recently started a supers campaign, and just finished the first session. I turned out 'okay', but I was a bit disappointed with my GMing. I think some of it has to do with the fact I still don't know a good chunk of the rules by heart. It's very difficult, because I learn mostly through play, and we can only afford to play once every month or two. Also, I never learned from another GM, as there were never any available in my area.

But more to the point, my biggest problem is that I have real difficulty improvising. I have this difficulty in both outcomes of certain decisions, but even more importantly, I have a real hard time improvising dialogue. I can write dialogue perfectly well if given time, but I am horrible at coming up with it on the spot.

My question is, does anyone else encounter this problem, and if so did you find any sort of exercise or mode of practice that improved your improvising skills? I'd be willing to put in the time, but don't know the best way to approach it. Should I try to plan as many responses are reasonable, therefore reducing how often I have to improvise, or should I sharpen my ability to think on the spot.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Needing GM advice for Improvising

I find that the principals of improvisational theater apply to gaming fairly well. Also practice helps.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
chimchim

Consider finding an online game for rules and dialogue practice unfortunately improve comes with practice
Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It won't help with rules, but most places have a local imrov theater that offers classes.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Hrothgar

I've had the same thoughts on improv theater. Not sure if there would be one in my area, but I'll give it a try.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
I've had the same thoughts on improv theater. Not sure if there would be one in my area, but I'll give it a try.
In truth, I've probably learned more at Southern California Renaissance Faire then anywhere else, but that was back when workshops were actual classes.

LARP'ing might help as well, since you need to stay in character for much longer periods of time than with tabletop games.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Culture20

If you're like me and more of a slow-reactive conversationalist (as opposed to someone who can think quick on their feet or initiate conversation), then having large amounts of prepared dialog squirreled away in the recesses of your brain can help. Watch movies or read a lot of books in the genre you're looking to emulate, and don't feel bad if you resort to some old-standby characters, especially for NPCs your players will never meet again. Of course, having a standby can make things interesting too: Sometimes the reserved English butler really did do it!
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I also think it's acceptable to switch between an in-character dramatic mode and an out-of-character narrative mode when GM'ing freely. It's totally okay to just say, "The pawn-shop guy buys the stuff and gives you 50$ while he makes a crack about doing you a favor" or whatever.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Hrothgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If you're like me and more of a slow-reactive conversationalist (as opposed to someone who can think quick on their feet or initiate conversation), then having large amounts of prepared dialog squirreled away in the recesses of your brain can help. Watch movies or read a lot of books in the genre you're looking to emulate, and don't feel bad if you resort to some old-standby characters, especially for NPCs your players will never meet again. Of course, having a standby can make things interesting too: Sometimes the reserved English butler really did do it!
The funny thing is that I actually am a quick conversationalist. I just have a hard time getting into character and talking like them, on the spot.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #10
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Steal characters shamelessly --

For any major character I tend to imagine some figure I know pretty well from an old film or TV series.

Then, when your PCs are interacting, just try to imagine yourself that character and say what he/she would say.

A bit cheesy but it does help, I think.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, gming, improvising